Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Gear Shifting

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  G-Power 
#1 ·
How can I stop the gears from changing when I put the automatic into manual shifting position.The gears on my BMW 540 with steptrionc allows me to fully conrtol when the gears shift i.e if I don't change the gears they do not shift automaticaly when the revs hit the red zone........on my older G's there is not option for the manual shifting mode but on my 2002 model this option is available and I have always wondered if there is any way to control this.....[^]

#2 ·
now thtat's an easy one:
G460 automatic (W4A 018) -
D= shifts all gears as needed
1= stays in 1
2= shifts from 1 to 2 when needed, but stays there
3= shifts up to 3 and stays there

G463 automatic (W4A 028, W5A 330-580)
D= shifts all gears as needed
1= stays in 1
2= shifts from 1 to 2 when needed, but stays there
and so on - you got the idea

Harald

#3 ·
In other words, manual shift mode is only for "normal" driving, and actually is the idiot proof mode. If you "manually" shift into 2nd or 3rd with the primary gear selector you can go till you hit redline. It wont let past redline because there is a rev limiter, but it wont shift either to my knowledge.

I was in neutral and stomped on the gas by accident and THANK GOD the truck has Rev limiter because wow did the motor go wild. Pretty scary really. I don't know what year they implemented the rev limiter but it surely saved me a lot of expensive bills because the limiter cycled a few times before i got off the gas.

#5 ·
so let me get this straight, if you are in drive, and then move the lever all the way down 4, 3, 2, and then to 1st gear... remember this is not switched over to "triptonic" mode of whatever you call it, it's in the basic automatic style gear selector mode... your truck will still shift into second?

If so that is really wierd. In triptonic/manual mode, i wouldn't be surprised if it still shifts up and down for you... although i really don't think they should call it manual mode if it still shifts.

#7 ·
4x4abc - 3/14/2005 12:55 PM

G-Power,

you need to tell us which transmission you are talking about.

Harald
My guess from reading is that it's a Tiptronic tranny. If that's the case, there's no marked 4, 3, 2, 1. Just D.

#9 ·
OH! I just checked e-bay for pictures of the new interior, your right harald, there's no selecting gears anymore on the new console, just D or "manual" mode. How annoying, especially when it's really not manual... in fact it should be called idiot mode since it wont hold the gear.

I know on some cars (infiniti?), you still have standard access to select all gears in addition to the "manual" mode... that's what i was thinking through all my posts on this subject. Ignore me.

#10 ·
you guys are wright..it only has the D mode or the +/- mode i.e you can not shift throught the 1,2,3...gears as possible previously.....I can do this on my 1998 G320 but on this new 2002 G400 it doesn't work........the gears still shift......what a stupid invention....I don't see the point of having this option.
Hence,you can see the current gear position in the display but the gears still shift......maybe it works in the low gear ration mode ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.