BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1982 300GD *2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear axle pinions seals and bearings

I took off my rear propshaft to have it services and noticed that the flange on the rear axle was a bit loose. Turned out that the nut in the centre was not locked !( previous owner reused the old nut at some point ). I tightned the nut a bit and got the flange to feel firm on the pinion. I have ordered a new nut and I see the spec for the friction of the diff is about 2-3 NM I recall. What I am concerned about is what torque should I be expecting to drive the nut on ? ie what happens if I get the 2-3 NM friction torque but th enut is only fastened at say 20NM?

Furthur can one take the outer bearing out ( after removing the two seals ) easily without having to drive the whole pionon shaft out the back of the diff? - is the bearing loosly coupled to the pinion?

Peter Merle

http:www.mb4x4.co.za
W460.332 300GD *2
W123.130 300D *2
W124.130 300D
W120.110 180D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
RE: Rear axle pinions seals and bearings

The torque of the pinion nut doesn't matter only the turning or friction torque. This is to establish the correct preload on the pinion bearings. My experience is with the front one but does have a slot on the pinion for you to smash the nut flange into and lock it in place. I remember reading someone else on this forum was having the same problem and merely tightened the nut and all was well. I do advise though, the correct way to do it is to get a new crush sleeve and retighten to proper spec. Is the turning torque listed in the manual total turning torque? Some manufacturers only list a pinion turning torque and this is without the carrier installed.

Since there hasn't been any preload on the bearings it is more than likely you have some wear on the pinion bearings. The rear comes apart much easier than the front and wouldn't be hard to tear it down, inspect bearings, install new crush sleeve and pinion seal, and get the right turning torque. Your question if the outer pinion bearing comes off easy--if it's like the front, no. I had to hold the pinion in place and beat the outer bearing on. Coming off was no picnic either. Tapped the pinion (with the nut on) to get it out. I don't think it's possible to get the outer bearing off with the carrier in place.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 07:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Are you saying that the bearing furtherest away from the diff and closest to the diff flange ( I think you refer to this one as the front one ) is easily removable in situ ? If so is the crushable collar also removable in situ? If that is the case that is good news in that I could inspect the bearing and replace if necessary. Are the seals easy to install?

MAny thanks
Peter Merle

W460.332 300GD *2
W123.130 300D *2
W124.130 300D
W120.110 180D
#4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
No easy way out

Even if the inner race isn't tight on the pinion shaft, the outer race is pressed into the housing and you won't be able to pull it from the front.

That torsion load of 2-3N is spec'd for the pinion only, so the ring gear needs to be removed to measure that properly.

If I were you. Peter, I'd snug up the nut to just a hair past zero play, see what you can do to re-engage the locking feature, put some high quality lubricant in the rear diff, and "put it on the list" to do a rear axle job some time in the near-ish future. It will mean a full disassembly to do it right.

-Dave G.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: '82 300gd
RE: No easy way out

Quote:
Hipine - 6/9/2004 4:26 PM

I'd snug up the nut to just a hair past zero play, see what you can do to re-engage the locking feature, put some high quality lubricant in the rear diff, and "put it on the list" to do a rear axle job some time in the near-ish future.

-Dave G.
Mine has been running well for about a year now having done this,it took only about 5 degrees to get rid of the play

bob
#6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Dave gave some solid advice and the front bearing--closest to the flange does not come off easy. The only way I know to get it out is to remove the carrier and tap the pinion gear out thus removing the "front" bearing. The new bearing goes in just as hard.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks guys I will take your advice and put a new nut on and take up the play. I will attempt to get the 3 NM friction . Do you think I need to replace the seals - Im a bit concerned that dirt is getting in down the pinsion splines as I found a lot of dust there and last time I drained the diff fluid it was very brown.

PEter Merle

W460.332 300GD *2
W123.130 300D *2
W124.130 300D
W120.110 180D
#8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 05:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

If it is leaking enough to get dirt in, you would have one massive external fluid leak. Just tighten the nut until you get time to do the whole job. If you mean tan, that would indicate water getting in so you may want to check your vent line. If just really dark brownish black, that's normal for old gear oil. Try synthetic, it lasts longer and stays it's nice honey brown color.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class