Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

G500 stop light burn out

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RAFA 
#1 ·
If you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic the stop lights tend to burn out frequently and cause computer havoc.
Just got a tip from a MB mechanic in Germany that drilling holes at the bottom of the rear light housings help dissip[ate the heat build up and save your brake light.

Harald

#3 ·
RE: I'd like to add this to G-tech

Hipine - 6/4/2004 4:37 PM

Anyone who's inclined to try it, please take a picture of where you drilled the holes, and note any steps required to access the place where the holes are drilled, and we'll make an article of it.

-Dave G.
This sounds like a 2002+ MBUSA G500 tip, as the lights are not connected to the computer in the pre-MBUSA G500's.

One more example of the over-electronification of what was a very simple, straight forward and very functional vehicle??

#4 ·
RE: I'd like to add this to G-tech

Computer or not, if they burn out they burn out, and that should be avoided if possible to due safety concerns.

There were multiple reports of '97 Defender 90s being stranded when a burned out tail light would result in a no-start condition in the ECU. It never happened to me personally, but the guy that bought my D90 did have it happen to him. I'm not sure that happens to the G, but it goes right to your point Dutch, of attempts to "modernize" destroying the original intent of the vehicle. The fact the LR did that to Defenders was a big part of what got me into 460 G's.

-Dave G.

#5 ·
Well done...

Well done engineers.

DC forced to reduce the resistance in the Connectors and Terminals from the Battery over the switch to the loads itself.

Measuring the output at the rear Terminals, the voltage often is over 13 Volts. Unfortunately the bulb had never been designed to see more than 12.

21 Watt's @ 12 Volts and not at 13,5 !

And the bad thing is - newer CHMSL= Center High Middle Stop Lights- running with LED's, even producing more heat !

Well done guys

Klaus

#6 ·
Do you understand how painful it is to own the Grazian under over-engineered MBUSA G? The simplest things were screwed up. I have had EVERY external bulb replaced. And many of them multiple times. Can't keep its lights on but it can get me out of a blizzard without any lights!

#7 ·
Seems like some of the overengineering should have gone into the installation of LED taillights. On top of the safety factor, they use an almost immeasurable amount of electricity and last virtually forever (in car terms). They are standard on almost all Volvos costing a fraction of the price of a G500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.