Transfer Case doing a noise - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 03:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: MB G300 TD CABRIO-79
Transfer Case doing a noise

Can anybody had good advice. I canˇt find older articles about transfer case when car was driving without front axel drivershaft.[?][:(]
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2000 G500 NMLE, 2014 ML350BlueTEC
RE: Transfer Case doing a noise

Quote:
wert11 - 1/23/2004 6:57 AM

Can anybody had good advice. I canˇt find older articles about transfer case when car was driving without front axel drivershaft.[?][:(]
I'm sorry to tell you that, if you are driving the car in 2WD (S) and no front drive shaft, you have probably caused serious internal damage to the TC. [:(] The lubrication pump inside the TC is powered by the front drive shaft. If the front drive shaft is removed, and you drive only in 2WD, there is no internal lubrication; and the gearing is damaged.

If it is necessary to remove the front axle, it is extremely important to only drive in 4WD (SA or GA). This will operate the lubrication pump for proper lubrication of the internal parts of the TC. Sorry to bring you such bad news.
DUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
pix - VG080 transfer case run in 2wd without front driveshaft

If you really want to look (it's not for the mechanically feint of heart), This is what I found inside of mine. I had run it about 250 miles without the front shaft. The actual large scale damage happened about 1,000 miles after I put the shaft back in, if I remember right. This case was rendered useless by the fact that the LR input gear needed replacing and it's mate on the output shaft was NLA. Extrordinary measures like spray deposition on the ID to recover the gear could be done, but I was able to source a good used box for less, so this one is relegated to the parts bin. Anyhoo, here you go. The SW here doesn;t let me intersperse text with pix, so here are the words that describe what you're looking at:

1-case.jpg
Had to tear the case down this far to find the problem. Scary already, huh?

2-bearing.jpg
Wish this was sharper, but you can just make out pieces of needle bearing where they shouldn't be - in the space between the gear and the shaft

3-gear.jpg
The needles are supposed to ride between the surfaces marked A. When they disintegrated, they wedged between the surfaces marked B, destroying those surfaces as well.

4-synchro.jpg
Surface marked B in previous picture is now facing downward. Bearing bits wedged against surface B forced the gear rearward on the shaft, and drove surface C on the gear against the adjacent surface, also C, on the synchro hub.

5-warningsign.jpg
D=Large amount of debris found under the speedometer drive output cover. Remove cover beneath speedo drive, not just the drive itself. Debris reaching D is also reaching E, and getting into input shaft oiling passages. If those passages get blocked, then no oil comes out the spigot F, into the input shaft. Low range gear bearing is starved for oil. At your next service, pull speedo drive cover. If debris is found, pull rear t-case cover to investigate..

-Dave G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30_1179232_1232004103201AM.jpg (69.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 30_1179232_1232004103216AM.jpg (39.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 30_1179232_1232004103227AM.jpg (54.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 30_1179232_1232004103236AM.jpg (58.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 30_1179232_1232004103243AM.jpg (57.7 KB, 68 views)
Hipine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 230ge
RE: pix - VG080 transfer case run in 2wd without front driveshaft

OUCH!
Toronto230GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
Yes...Feel my pain.... :^)

I got REALLY lucky to find a couple of serviceable transfer cases pretty cheap that 1- got me out of this problem for under $700, and 2- got me a second case to rebuild to brand new specs and start over from scratch caring for it the best way I know how. Some of those rebuild parts were a bit of a challenge, and are just arriving now after 6 months of work. But when the garage warms up again, I'll have a nice new t-box to fit, with maybe a couple days work rebuilding.

Wish me luck.

-Dave G.
Hipine is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class