BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320, 1989 560SL, 2006 SLK350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w201fan View Post
It's too bad that cars have to be antiques to be in the Starfest show class-at leas 25 model years old or older. This is leaving out most of the w126,w124,w201 modern/youngtimers classics that MB has heavily promoted in recent years. It's sad. These cars have been designated classics by MB so they should be eligible for the show class. Also most MBCA members don't own cars that are 25 model years old and older. This really limits articipation in this event. Too bad.
Can't say I disagree. My oldest is "only" 23 years. But thats why there is the street class. If your <25 year old car is clean enough for show class, it should clean up in the street class!

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK 320; 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL; 2006 SLK350; 2006 ML350
Scottsdale, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_JC View Post
So.... Being a driver and one that feels a car is meant to be driven - What can you tell me about the track and rallye events?
The driving events are going to be held at Firebird International Raceway. There will be everything from defensive driving to a track event on the 1.6 mile main track. Auto cross and drag racing (1/4 mile) as well.

Scottsdale, AZ
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: SLK350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Driving detils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX-5.0 View Post
The driving events are going to be held at Firebird International Raceway. There will be everything from defensive driving to a track event on the 1.6 mile main track. Auto cross and drag racing (1/4 mile) as well.
Any specifics as to how much track time, what days, format of the event (I know Firebird well)? Same for the Rallye (I'm guessing more on the fun / social side)?

If workable it might be fun to let my wife do the defensive driving, track for me. Rallye and other events would be fun for both of us.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
The current plan is that Saturday will be the first day of track events at Firebird. Starting with tech inspection, then Defensive Driving. To participate in other track events, a driver has to have taken Defensive Driving within the past 12 months of the event, so this would be the last opportunity to meet this national requirement.

The Concours will be all day Sunday, so other than the rallye, no other driving events.

Monday will be Auto-X, then after sundown, 1/4 Mile acceleration runs on the NHRA dragstrip will full staging and timing. Tuesday will be timed laps on the road course.

The schedule may be subject to change, so check with the Starfest 2012 website for updates, which will also be posted here.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
I have it written down somewhere but not in front of me. IIRC $169 / night which is great for that property. I am local but will stay there for at least 4 nights to really get the whole thing!
That room rate also includes all resort fees, which are normally additional charges. The resort fee includes onsite parking, internet access, use of the spa facilities (excluding spa services), hotel shuttle to local shopping and restaurants, use of putting green and local and toll free room calls.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_JC View Post
If workable it might be fun to let my wife do the defensive driving, track for me. Rallye and other events would be fun for both of us.
That's exactly my plan. I've done a defensive driving course in the last year so I'm exempt from having to do it prior to the track time. So I'm going to let my wife do that and I'll do some higher speed track stuff.

Scottsdale, AZ
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Dec 2010
Quote:
Can't say I disagree. My oldest is "only" 23 years. But thats why there is the street class. If your <25 year old car is clean enough for show class, it should clean up in the street class!
It's dishonest to put a show class quality car i the street class. It's also unfair to both types of cars. It's unfair to street clas cars to have to compete against a show class quality car and it's also unfair to force show class quality cars into the street class. It's all the more maddening since the MB Classic Center will work on cars that are 20 model years old or older. I don't know why the MBCA standards aren't the same as the company that builds the cars that thier organization is focused on. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w201fan View Post
It's dishonest to put a show class quality car i the street class. It's also unfair to both types of cars. It's unfair to street clas cars to have to compete against a show class quality car and it's also unfair to force show class quality cars into the street class. It's all the more maddening since the MB Classic Center will work on cars that are 20 model years old or older. I don't know why the MBCA standards aren't the same as the company that builds the cars that thier organization is focused on. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
I don't make the rules. As far as I see there's nothing at all dishonest about classifying a vehicle where the rules say it should go. If its in eligible for one and eligible for another it fits. I could whine all day about various groups limitations on my personal plans but I'll pick my battles. Unfair is life! It doesn't have to make sense. Come out and have fun!

Scottsdale, AZ
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: SLK350
Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
The current plan is that Saturday will be the first day of track events at Firebird. Starting with tech inspection, then Defensive Driving. To participate in other track events, a driver has to have taken Defensive Driving within the past 12 months of the event, so this would be the last opportunity to meet this national requirement.

The Concours will be all day Sunday, so other than the rallye, no other driving events.

Monday will be Auto-X, then after sundown, 1/4 Mile acceleration runs on the NHRA dragstrip will full staging and timing. Tuesday will be timed laps on the road course.

The schedule may be subject to change, so check with the Starfest 2012 website for updates, which will also be posted here.
Thanks for the details, sounds like a fun few days! No problem having to take the Defensive Driving... does (I'm new to the MB club but not car clubs) the club recognize performance driving training / certification from other clubs?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Dec 2010
Quote:
I don't make the rules. As far as I see there's nothing at all dishonest about classifying a vehicle where the rules say it should go. If its in eligible for one and eligible for another it fits. I could whine all day about various groups limitations on my personal plans but I'll pick my battles. Unfair is life! It doesn't have to make sense. Come out and have fun!
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Age shouldn't be the only criteria to determine what class a car is placed in. Condition should also be adetermining factor. All cars that are less than 25 years old areforced into the daily driver/street clas regardless of their condition. Most motor vehicle departments classify cars that are more than 25 years old as antiques. Car houldn't have to be antiques to be in the show class. The MB Classic Center will work on cars that are 20 model years old and older. That should be the standard for the MBCA. Cars in show class condition are typically in much better condition than daily driver cars. Show class cars that aren't driven to the event are heavily penalized if they're in the daily driver class. Since show class condition cars that are leass than 25 years old are forced into the daily driver class solely because of their age, they're then heavily penalized for not being driven. This is wrong. Many more people would participate in the show class if the age criteria wasn't so draconian that it keeps most members cars out because most members don't own cas that are more than 25 years old. The narional leadership of MBCA is really out to lunch on this one. My car is less than 25 years old but It's in show calss condition. It's not a daily driver and I'm not putting it in the daily driver class to be heavilypenalized for no being drive to the event. This is why I have no interest in attending Starfest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in