June 14 - North NJ - Gullwing Documentary at Porsche Club Meeting - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
June 14 - North NJ - Gullwing Documentary at Porsche Club Meeting

Hello all,
Allow me to introduce myself and invite you to an interesting evening that will feature one of the most desirable Mercedes Benzes of all time: a 1955 SL "Gullwing." My name is Zoltan, and I'm the program chair for the Northern New Jersey Porsche Club of America. As program chair, I'm responsible for organising our monthly meetings. This month's meeting will have a unique 'Mercedes' flavor to it.

I would like to cordially invite you to a viewing of the documentary, "A Gullwing at Twilight - The Bonneville Ride of John Fitch." Chris Szwedo, the creator, producer, director of the PBS documentary will be on hand to narrate this wonderful movie. This will be a unique opportunity to see this film through the eyes of its creator. This showing will be taking place on June 14th starting at 8:00pm at The Villa on Rt. 46 in Mountain Lakes, NJ. (See directions below)

I thought some of you Mercedes enthusiasts would be interested in viewing this film with us.

Here are some more details about the film: (copied from my post on the NNJR PCA website: www.nnjr-pca.com/site )
We will be watching the movie, "A Gullwing at Twilight - The Bonneville Ride of John Fitch." Actually, we don't be just watching the movie - the movie will be narrated by Chris Szwedo, the creator, director, producer of this movie. Chris will be on hand on Wednesday to give us a deeper perspective of this film.

Chris Szwedo also created and produced the Lime Rock documentary: Lime Rock Park - The Secret Valley of Racing.

If you haven't seen Chris' work before, he has produced top notch documentaries for Public TV, as well as some independant short films and documentaries. (Check out his website: http://www.szwedo.com/ for details) As a matter of fact, the "Gullwing at Twilight" documentary will be airing on NJ-Public TV later this month. (Check www.njn.net for details)

Chris has a passion for cars - that's evident in his often selected subject matter. Join us for an evening where we can get some insight into Chris' and our passion.

In this month's issue of Road and Track, they did a quick review of Chris' "Gullwing" documentary. This is what they had to say:
Originally Posted by Road and Track, July 2006 issue, Joe Rusz
One of the most beautiful sports cars in the world and American road-racing legend John Fitch - then a young 87-year-old who retired from racing but not front life - meet at Bonneville for a reminiscent romp that showcases the best of man and machine - both vintage. Beautifully filmed by Chris Szwedo, who also produced, directed and wrote the music, this wide-screen, stereo-sound video with commentary by Sam Posey gives us an intimate peek at a unique venue and an up-close-and-personal look at this equally unique octogenarian.
Directions to the Villa at Mountain Lakes:
The Villa is located at 90 Route 46 East, Mountain Lakes, NJ. Telephone: 973-335-5300
From Rt. 80 East: Take Exit 38 onto Rt. 46 East. Continue approximately 1/2 mile. The Villa is on the right.
From Rt. 80 West: Take Exit 39 into Rt. 46 East. Continue approximately 1 mile. The Villa is on the right.
From Rt. 280 West: To Rt. 80 West. Follow Rt. 80 West directions above - OR - take Exit 1 (Edwards Road in Parsippany), make right at the light, go 1/2 mile to Rt. 46 West. Continue 6 miles, the Villa is on the left.*
From Garden State Parkway: Take Exit 145 (Rt. 280 West) to end onto Rt. 80 West. Follow Rt. 80 West directions above.
From Rt. 287 North: Take Exit 41B into Rt. 80 West. Follow Rt. 80 West directions above.
From Rt. 287 South: Take Exit 42. Make a left at fist light and a quick right onto Rt. 46 West. Continue 2 miles, the Villa is on the left.*
* Traveling via Rt. 46 West: There is no left turn into the Villa's parking lot. Continue to the next light (staying in the left lane) and make a U-Turn at the traffic light. This is a legal U-Turn. Travel on Rt. 46 East, the Villa is on the right.

I hope to see you this Wednesday!

PS: While I am Porsche Club member and Porsche enthusiast, I also work for Mercedes-Benz, USA Home office in Montvale, NJ, in the IT Department.

Last edited by Z-man; 06-11-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 00 ML55, 06 E500, 87 325(project), 91 supra T(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 55fanatic
Zoltan, welcome to the forum... this is Peter. I have a number of people who have pre registered with me for the AutoX event.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: