BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2009 S550 Designo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shave Tires? or New ones?

My 2004 SL600 has about 15,000 miles on the Michelins and they have really become loud. The treads are no longer even and I think they're called cupped? When you slide your hand against the direction of the tread, you can feel the leading edge of tread. There is a lot of meat left on these tires - shoud I just have them shaved rather than replace? Are the newer Michelins quieter? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,John Deere 318
Smile

Your tires are cupped from one of two choices, The wheel alignment is off, or MUCH MORE likely from not running quite enough air pressure in them. Don't bother shaving them, Increase the press. 4psi per tire and live with the noise, ALL tires that cup WILL be noisy, If they are cupped both inside and outside them the alighnment is OK! I have Michelin PS-2's on mine with 14K on them and they make NO NOISE at all.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
shaving tires

I've researched replacement tires for my SL600 and concluded I'd like either the Goodyear DSG3 or the TOYO Proxes T1R. Unfortunately, both have back orders for the rear tires.
So I called my tire buddy near Harry Hines and Royal Lane in Dallas and asked if he'd shave my tires. My only complaint about the Michelins is that with 10,000 or so miles on these tires, they've become very noisy. The noise is caused by the unidirectional, non rotation situation. The leading edge of the "knobs" on the tires is higher than the trailing edges, thus causing noise.
He charges $25/tire to shave them so I'm going for it.
He's the only guy that I know of in the Dallas area still shaving tires. If you've never had tires shaved, you'd be amazed at the change in your tires. If you have an older car with older tires, making the tire/wheel assembly perfectly round is a wonderful driving experience.

I'll post again after the shaving to report the change in noise.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Report on shaved tires!

Ahhhh. Very nice. I had my Michelins shaved this morning to make them round and smooth once more. On my SL, the tires cannot be rotated so they develop an extremely noisy characteristic even though there is plenty of meat left in the tread. In Dallas, Texas, there is a tire store in the n.e. corner of Harry Hines and Royal Lane called "Hayes Tire." Owner is Kevin. He is the only guy in Dallas I know who can shave tires. It is a lost art! He charged me $25/tire for shaving and balancing. The improvement was immediately noticable as I pulled away from the shop. My tires no longer felt like they had a mud-tire tread. And at 75 mph, they were quite and smooth.
If you're tires have become noisy and there is plenty of meat on them, find a guy who can shave them and you'll be very pleased. If you're not sure if there is someone in your city, seek out a vintage car racer, a british car club (wire wheels are notoriously out of round so they shave a tire to be round on an non round wire wheel), or call older tire stores.

If you go see Kevin at Hayes Tire, call in advance and plan to arrive some morning around 7:30. It takes a little over an hour. THeir number is 972.247.6195.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > The Discount Tire Direct Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension