Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML350 take-offs..problems with tires...........

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sbsml320 
#1 ·
I purchased a set of take-off wheels/tires from an ML350 inpirations edition for my 02 ml320. They appear brand new...however after three attempts at balancing the tires, my tire shop has given up stating that the tires (Dunlop sp5000 275/55/17) are so out of round they will not balance. My original Dunlops were fine. Any ideas, other than get new tires? Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
sbsml320 - 3/25/2005 8:39 PM

I purchased a set of take-off wheels/tires from an ML350 inpirations edition for my 02 ml320. They appear brand new...however after three attempts at balancing the tires, my tire shop has given up stating that the tires (Dunlop sp5000 275/55/17) are so out of round they will not balance. My original Dunlops were fine. Any ideas, other than get new tires? Thanks in advance!!
I have another side question -were you able to use the same lug nuts from your original wheels?

#4 ·
Thanks for replying.

Regarding your tires:

A) The tires and wheels may have been sitting around for a long time and the tires may have flat spotted.

B) The tires may have been damaged during shipment damaging sidewall or casing which will make balancing very very difficult.

C) The rims themselves may be bent.

Do a search in your local area for tires shops that do "road force balancing" - the wheels / tires are left on the vehicle and balanced on a rack that simulates road conditions and can usually pinpoint the problem better. At $150-$200/tire, it's worth seeing if a shop that has better balancing equipment can do the job... tell us how it goes

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I 've looked at the mounted tires spinning on the machine...3 of the 4 are obviously not round. I'm pretty sure the wheels are not bent. I am calling Dunlop in the morning and will probably be blown off, but I will try. Car is due for a flex service B on April 1. We will see what the dealer says..thanks for your input!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.