Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SL500 18" Pressure Question also Shudder Problem

829 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mpvoice 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 1998 SL500 and love this vehicle! I replaced the OE 16" factory wheels with with used (very clean) Chrome 18" AMG's (staggered 18X8.5 front and 18X9.5 rear) and fitted them with Falken Azenis ST115(245/40-18 front and 275/35-18 rear).
The tires and wheels were balanced and mounted by a local shop with a Hunter GSP9700. First, I would like to know what the recommended pressure(s) should be for this set up .. the tech at the tire shop said the wheels and tires all passed the test, and he suggested 40lbs. all around - which sounded a bit hard to believe! (pardon the pun).

Second, I feel an intermittant light vibration (more like a shudder) quite often and at city and highway speeds .. it's not in the steering, but rather the whole car, and it does not get worse with speed (the hard top is removed by the way).

Could the vibration issue possibly be a tire balance/wheel related? Or perhaps more likely a drive train/shaft balance problem? Or, possibly this is normal situation (cowl shake) common in many drop tops?

'Shuddering' in anticipation of replies!
[?]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.