Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Designo magno alanite gray staining problem

16K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Rangac 
#1 ·
I really need some help here. I just bought a 2012 cls550 with designo magno alanite gray paint. When i got it 2 weeks ago the paint was in beautiful condition. I purchased dr beasleys matte perscription and used it exactly as the directions stated. I just noticed some stain marks that will not go away. I have been in contact with dr beasleys but they cant figuire it out. Please if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I added pics. I hope i did it right. This is my first post. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
This has been the strangest thing, that staining appearence only happans on the front, rear and side bumpers, all of which are made of plastic. At first when i washed my car with dr beasleys matte wash and used dr beasleys final finish, all the stain streaks were still there. A few days later when i re-washed with the same dr beasley matte wash, all the streaks and stains went away. Sice than the same has happaned every week, if my car gets just a little dirty through the week and i wash it on the weekend, no stains. If it gets very dirty through the week, i wash it on the weekend and the stains are there only on the front and rear and a little on the side bumpers. But than if i rewash a few days latet (not the same day for some odd reason) they dissapear. Dr beasleys has no idea why this is happaning and said they never heard of it before. Mercedes said the same. The only conclusion i can come to is there has to be some flaw with the factory , matte paint and the bumper material since the rest of the car is always in perfect condition. Its a pain but atleast it does go away. And i also use dr beasleys clear seal every few months and only apply when there are no stains but they still appear. The clear seal is great, water beads right up and nothing sticks to the paint, not even bird sh@t.

#6 ·
Here's the bottom line: Don't buy a car with matte paint if you plan to daily drive it. Unless you live in Southern California or a desert climate where you don't have to worry about rain and salt and contaminants like the rest of the world.

Matte paint is a cool novelty, and good for a weekend fun car. But not practical for a daily driver in the vast majority of the country, unless you can live with the staining and other imperfections that are inevitable.

A much better bet if you really want the look on your daily driver would be a matte wrap.

#8 ·
I have a 2017 S63 Alanite Grey Mangno. I bought Dr. Beasley's Matte Prescription like Placo, and for the first wash, I only used Dr. Beasley's Matte Body Wash and Paint Coating, and the car looked great. Then, yesterday, 2 weeks later I used the Matte Waterless Wash and Matte Paint Cleaner, and as I was finishing up, I noticed water stains on the front bumper below the headlights - the stains were remarkably similar on each side (the first two photos below are under each of the headlights, and are sideways - I couldn't figure out how to rotate here). I reapplied the Matte Paint Cleaner but nothing changed. I then called my dealer he said to try 1:3 Vinegar:Water, and then 1:1 Vinegar:Water; again, there was no change. I searched the issue on the internet last night to see if others had this happen, and I found Placo's post above. So I re-washed the area this morning with Dr. Beasley's Matte Body Wash like I did 2 weeks ago (this time I did not use the Waterless Wash or Paint Cleaner). 2 hours later, the stains all disappeared (see the second 2 pictures for the corresponding areas). This sounds a lot like Placo's experience. I don't understand what happened, but this really makes me scared to use Dr. Beasley's Matte finish products on my car again.

Attachments

#10 ·
I know that many people use the Dr. Beasley's matte products, but I would strongly recommend the Swissvax line of matte products as an alternative. I've used Swissvax on collector cars of mine, and they're very premium and offer excellent results.

Swissvax.us: Matt Paint Finish Care

The products are considerably more expensive than Dr. Beasley's, however they offer a more comprehensive line and are preferred by many detailers. Considering that you own an ultra high performance six-figure car with a specialized paint job, I'd say it's probably worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.