|10-20-2011, 08:37 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 2000 and 2003 W220 S500
Location: Baltimore, MD - Bergenfield, NJ
How to fix minor cosmetic damage
Baltimore is a regular city and like all regular cities, it has regular idiots.
One of these idiots decided that a rock would make a nice dent in my car.
This is how to make that go away. (The damage, unfortunately, not the idiots.)
1. The first thing you need to do is asses the damage. This was made by a marble brick corner smashed into my passenger side door. It made a dent about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch deep. I taped off where I thought the damage might be, so that I don't sand anywhere extra I don't have to.
2. You need 600 grit sand paper and a flat sanding block. What this does is three things:
Remove paint and cleat coat to better apply Bondo.
Show exactly how the surface is structured.
Slightly lower the surface so that the Bondo is even with the surrounding paint.
3. After sanding, you can clearly see that the metal around the main indentation is warped and needs to be sanded down to metal and bondo'd even to the surrounding metal.
4. Bondo the damaged area. Let dry and sand with 600 grit. If you do it right, you will have a perfectly smooth area that you can't feel any indentations at all in.
5. Now, you need to cover the area off. Get ready for some spray painting.
6. Dry with a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer.
7. Repeat, only now with clear coat.
8. Cure. I left this alone over the weekend.
9. If you did it right, once you peel the tape, you'll see edges as thick as the tape. That now needs to be sanded very carefully to blend in. The trick is to start in slightly inside the edge of the newly painted surface with 600 grit. That way, the paint tapers off slighly from the edge, which should now be invisible.
10. Once you can't feel the edges, sand with 1500, then 3000, until it looks like frosted glass.
11. Compound and polish. Your baby will be good as new!
Paint used:Universal Black
Sandpaper used:600 grit
Compound used:Meguair's Ultimate Compund
Last edited by Gabby07621; 10-24-2011 at 07:48 AM.
|11-07-2011, 12:04 PM||#2 (permalink)|
Thank you for detailed writing - I have to try this method with my bonnet damage. I am so proud my factory original paint and I don´t want to repaint anything more than just needed. My bonnet damage appeared during overseas container transportation.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|nashville flood damage = electrical damage||06sport||W203 C-Class||3||02-04-2011 06:08 AM|
|Minor W202 Cosmetic Issues D:||thepinoc||W202 C-Class||19||11-01-2008 10:44 AM|
|Minor bumper damage - Again||SlacKeR||R170 SLK Class||6||08-31-2006 04:11 PM|
|COSMETIC HELP!||ttaleric||W163 M-Class||3||12-10-2004 12:42 PM|
|Another Look for Brabus CLK Cosmetic kit..||indra||W208 CLK Class||0||12-18-2001 08:03 AM|