What is the best car carpet shampoo? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Post What is the best car carpet shampoo?

What is the best car carpet shampoo? My carpet needs a full cleaning. Which do you guys think is the best shampoo? I want to get the carpet to make the carpet look like new and none of the carpet cleaners are cutting it.
C230 Kompressor Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C230 Kompressor Dude View Post
What is the best car carpet shampoo? My carpet needs a full cleaning. Which do you guys think is the best shampoo? I want to get the carpet to make the carpet look like new and none of the carpet cleaners are cutting it.
Diluted laundry soap, just plain laundry soap. Lemon for the greesy spots.

Make sure and get all the soap out of the carpet when your done. Dry soap attracts dirt and make it look worse then it is.

1. You're talking about god, there has never been any god of any kind. EVER!

2. I just have a general dislike of you.

3. I am trying to tell you how to fix your Mercedes and you are not listening.

4. I'm flirting with Jody.

5. You're just to dumb to own a Mercedes, and should go buy a Honda.
Mercedes mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes mechanic View Post
Diluted laundry soap, just plain laundry soap. Lemon for the greesy spots.

Make sure and get all the soap out of the carpet when your done. Dry soap attracts dirt and make it look worse then it is.
After I scrub the soap in water into the carpet... How do I get it out?
C230 Kompressor Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2003 Honda S2000
DISCLAIMER: Here is the typical disclaimer, I can not be held responsible for your actions. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Im a professional auto detailer by trade and here's what I recommend:

1. To start off vacuum the whole carpet, or area to be extracted, thoroughly!

2. Rent yourself a simple basic carpet extractor from a vacuum repair/retailer, or perhaps home depot. The detergent I would highly recommend is "Carpet Extractor Shampoo" by a company called "Zep". It comes in gallon form and the container itself is a blue color.
You mix this soap as directed on the label, into the carpet extractor. (The person at the rental shop will show you how to do this.) I also highly recommend using Zep High-Traffic Carpet Cleaner to initially pre-treat the stains in the carpet. Do this by mixing this cleaner with water in a spray bottle with a 50/50 ratio.

3. After you have pre-treated the area you wish to extract, use the extractor to spray the shampoo & water solution you already mixed onto the affected area of the carpet. Use a brush with stiff plastic bristles to scrub and lift dirt and contaminants from the carpet.

4. Use the suction of the extractor to suck up the loose dirt and water to more thoroughly remove the dirt. Repeat step 3 as often as needed.

5. When you decide you're done, go back over the area using suction only to remove as much loose water and moisture as possible to negate the possibility of rust from sitting water as well as mold and mildew. Let the car sit overnight, preferrably in a garage, with the windows cracked to let any remaining moisture evaporate.

Not all stains will come out. You may need to repeat this process one or two more times. If this is the case try using Zep Foaming Carpet Stain Remover. It comes in a Ready-to-Use Aerosol spray can.

All of the chemicals I mentioned in this post are readily available at Home Depot, as that is where I shop to get them.

Please also remember, detailers do charge for this sort of thing and some could be pricey. If you are in anyway uncomfortable doing this, please contact a professional. I'm sure you would hate for your beloved Benz to be damaged. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM and I will respond as quickly as I can. Good luck to you and let us know how it pans out for you!

Last edited by Robert144; 08-22-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Robert144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C230 Kompressor Dude View Post
After I scrub the soap in water into the carpet... How do I get it out?
If you have not taken them out of the car, do so. Then out in the driveway use your garden hose to keep rinsing it until you see no soap.

Here is a picture of the front carpets I just did two days ago.

As you can see once removed the carpet is easier to work with, BTW these were black with dirt.

I kinda cheated in the cleaning of the dirt part, I powerwashed the dirt out then I scrubbed follwed up with another power wash.

I got some carpet dye and some pest spray to spray on them before they go back in.

Last edited by Mercedes mechanic; 08-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Mercedes mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care