Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anti-corrosion treatment in China?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of anti-corrosion treatment MB gives their cars prior to being sold in China? When I asked the dealer about this, the answer was "no particular treatment". If that is indeed true, will I dare to drive a mill plus rmb car in snowy terrain at all? Will the anti-corrosion treatment given in the factory be sufficient for driving in snowy terrain? It rarely snows in Shanghai, but what if I wanted to take a trip up north. Plenty of snow once you cross over into Shandong.

#2 ·
I have never seen a corroded Benz in China, I suppose far north it is possible. Do they use salt on the roads in the north of China when it snows? It is the salt that corrodes cars and not snow.

#3 ·
Salt on Chinese roads, Tectyl, winter tyres

I am under the impression that major roads in Beijing and Harbin are salted during the winter. It is quite possible that the Chinese roads are not salted as meticulously as European roads though, but I would still be hesitant to drive up there without a thorough Tectyl bath done by a reputable garage. I have asked the MB people here in Shanghai if they use Tectyl and they have never heard about it. On the other hand, neither had they heard about winter tyres, so I guess one option is simply to stay south.

:surrender:

#4 ·
I am under the impression that major roads in Beijing and Harbin are salted during the winter. It is quite possible that the Chinese roads are not salted as meticulously as European roads though, but I would still be hesitant to drive up there without a thorough Tectyl bath done by a reputable garage. I have asked the MB people here in Shanghai if they use Tectyl and they have never heard about it. On the other hand, neither had they heard about winter tyres, so I guess one option is simply to stay south.

:surrender:
Hardly surprising is it, winter in Shanghai is not exactly at Canada standards:D For me having worked many years in south China I found the Shanghai winter very cold.

I have been to Beijing several times during the winter and have never seen a salt spreader, snow ploughs yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.