Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Here's One You Don't Hear Everyday...

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark Essman 
#1 ·
So I get a frantic call today from my wife... somehow the fluid that is inside the the drivers side mirror of our 99 C230 is leaking and has dried onto the door. It also seems to not want to come off. I have tried bug and tar remover.. no dice. The guy at pep boys said try rubbing alcohol.. I am leery..won't that take off the paint?

Any ideas? WTF is in these mirrors?

#2 ·
Try a clay bar, might be able to take it off.

#3 ·
ferndown,
Sorry I can't tell you exactly what the chemical is inside the mirror, but what I can tell you is that it eats paint. When mine started to leak, when I wiped it off the mirror surround a spot of paint came with it. I'd take the car to an autoglass shop and let them work on it. Good Luck-

Bob

#4 ·
If the fluid that leaked is acidic in any way, it probably damaged the paint or at least munched the clear coat. If that is not the case, you could try a clay bar, but you will probably have to move up to a polish with cutting/correction ability or seek professional help if you see no improvement.

Alcohol will just strip off any protection, like wax, but will almost certainly not remove the stain if it is a abrasive fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.