Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY: Plastic Headlight Polishing (Video)

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MothersPolish 
#1 ·
I was refinishing the headlights on my VW and I thought I would do a how to vid on it to help out other members.

#2 ·
Wow! What a difference. I wish I had the balls to do that on my E500 lenses. Problem is, they're about $1500 a pop to replace, if I screw them up.

#4 ·
That looks great! I imagine that will save a bunch of money for people that are willing to do it.
How much time does that actually take?

#6 ·
Excellent DYI and good result. But if you buy all the required sand paper and other stuff needed to do it, it will cost more than an all-in-one kit to "renew" the lens. And it will take much less time with the all-in-one kit because a cordless drill is used. The all-in-one kit also comes with masking tape so you will not damage the lens' surrounding.
$20 kit here, if you don't have a cordless drill then don't look.

#7 ·
There are many options out there, and kits are very economical because they provide you everything you need -- some just do it a little differently than others.

A few words of wisdom:

• Don't sand unless you need to -- if you have crust, you will need to sand; if you have light yellowing, try polishing first.
  • If you do sand, don't start with the coarse sandpaper -- only use it if you have to, and sand lightly and with purpose, increasing the time by double as you progress with a finer-grade of sandpaper.
  • Polish frequently to maintain crystal clarity.

• Headlight Restoration:

• Severe Damage Headlight Restoration:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.