Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bad tape off on paint job...how to remove paint from door rubber?

17K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Zill 
#1 ·
The previous owner had the car painted, and whoever did it did a really bad job of taping off the car before they started. there are spots of the weatherstripping in between the doors that have paint spray on them and I'm trying to figure out how to remove it. It's silver paint on black weatherstripping so it's very noticeable
One of my mechanic friends suggested to try acetone (nail polish remover) and some random guy suggested gasoline but that doesnt sound right. Paint thinner makes sense but is it safe to use on weatherstripping?

#2 ·
Wurth Clean Solve is a fast acting cleaner and 'safe' solvent that will not leave a film residue. It will quickly remove wax, tar, gum, grease, paint overspray, adhesive, oil, and silicone. It can be used on a variety of surfaces including: base coat, clear coat, aluminium, fibreglass, glass, fabrics and vinyl.

#3 ·
If it is a 2 pak paint not many solvents will work, if it is not to thick you could try a 3m scotch brite and soapy water on rubbers. If its single pak paint your solvents should work ok but dont let it touch any of your paint work. the solvents will dry your rubbers out though. good luck:)

#5 ·
Wurth Clean Solve or Stoner's Trim Cleaner or Xenit products work great for removing stains from trim with no bad secondary effects to the rubber.

You can try Acetone, but I would be careful and test in a small area first, and do not use gas. It will work but will purge the rubber of conditioners.

You might also consider using a good rubber cleaner/conditioner on a regular basis to keep the rubber protected and pliable once the stains have been removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.