Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1984 300D, newbie to detailing

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  English Bulldog 
#1 ·
From my car's info plate, my 84 300D's paint code is 904, which is "Dark Blue Clear Coat." The paint has white, haziness to it, and some water marks so I took some Meguinar's Color X to it this afternoon. I started on the driver's side front fender, and worked over to the driver's door. When I stepped back to look at my work, I noticed that the quality of blue is different between the front of the car, and doors, and the rear fender and trunk hood. The blue on the front of the car looks lighter, similar to the 900 color "deep blue" which is not a clear coat color. I did notice that as I was working the Color X into the paint, a lot of blue was coming off on my applicator pad.

I tried to take a picture of this, but my cell phone's camera doesn't capture this color difference. Is it possible that the PO painted the front of the car, or the rear with a mismatched paint? This is really strange. What does this forum think I should do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.