BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: E 550 4 matic 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Baby oil for leather

Does anyone know anything about the use of Johnsons Baby oil for leather. I don t know anything about the chemistry but I ve tried it on clean leather seats with nice results. I put a few drop on a cotton cloth and wipe in until its gone. Looks really nice and is fast and easy. Dry s with an non oilly finish.

2010 E550 4matic, AMG Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1992 230CE Sportline MT
What weight do you use? I use 10w-40 on my baby, but I don't know if this is right for my climate. I live in Chicago. Please help????

#3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't know about baby oil but I have read that baby wipes are good for a quick clean up. But I wouldn't depend on either oil or wipes for a long term preservative.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
CliffNotes® Version

Do not use oils for leather / urathane surface care

Proper Leather Care

The interior environment of an automobile can be extremely demanding on any material used. Temperatures range from hot dry summer days, to freezing nights. Both high and low humidity, even air conditioning that cools, but also dries. Leather's greatest enemies are; sun, heat, body oils and ultra violet radiation (UVR), which dries the hide, fades the colour by bleaching, and can cause the leather to fail by drying out the fibres causing the polyurethane and / or the hide to crack.

Many leather products market themselves on how they feed or condition leather. In fact your car's leather seats are first coated with a very fine emulsion (pigmentation) to give them the desired colour and then a clear urethane coating. So for best longevity you should be keeping that coating clean, hydrated and as well protected as possible.

These same companies would also have you believe you should feed your car's urethane leather finish with olive, cantaloupe, sunflower and coconut oils, lanolin or coat it with wax. These products even if they were necessary cannot permeate the urethane coating, they will only attract dust. Unless you brought a specific premium natural leather upholstery package - you are dealing with the finished protective coating and not with the leather hide itself.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerbomark View Post
Does anyone know anything about the use of Johnsons Baby oil for leather. I don t know anything about the chemistry but I ve tried it on clean leather seats with nice results.
Does it contain lanolin? Lots of hand creams do, and these are also fine for car leather (and much cheaper than MB's official product by Mexxxxr's) ....
#6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2005 230 Kompressor
Yes be selective on what you use for leather especially if it is coated. Most oil based products for leather can soften but they can also attract dust and dirt that gets embedding into the leather because of the way they coat the top of the leather, so shop around. I would not suggest straight baby oil for your application.

Nokiemon
2005 230 Kompressor SS
#7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
The difference here gents, is if the leather was spray dyed or vat dyed. a vat-dyed leather requires things such as Connolly's Hide Food, the amazing Leatherique conditioner system (the only product on the market that actually works on spray dyed leather) and Lexol (average stuff)

Never use petroleum based products on leather, like baby oil. It will just attract dirt that will be virtually impossible to remove.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

My problem with using a cream leather care product, it that it enters the minute holes on my charcoal colored seats, and will not vanish. So it gives a bad appearance.

Any tips here?
#9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance_warrior View Post
The difference here gents, is if the leather was spray dyed or vat dyed. a vat-dyed leather requires things such as Connolly's Hide Food, the amazing Leatherique conditioner system (the only product on the market that actually works on spray dyed leather) and Lexol (average stuff)
Never use petroleum based products on leather, like baby oil. It will just attract dirt that will be virtually impossible to remove.
Mercedes made in Europe use vat dyed leather, in the US leather is spray dyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
My problem with using a cream leather care product, it that it enters the minute holes on my charcoal colored seats, and will not vanish. So it gives a bad appearance.
Any tips here?
Q-tips will drive you ape. You are better off using a solvent for the cream and applying leather cleaner and conditioner which does not give you the hassle. Nevertheless, I think that cream applied in thinner coats and dried between coats can be as effective. Sure you did not apply an inordinate quantity?

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
Sure you did not apply an inordinate quantity?
I don't think so.

Not all my leather panels have these micro holes. Just the center of the seat bases - to allow for the under seat heating, I presume. No matter how little I use, it still ends up in the holes...

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care