Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1997 S500 Coupe Window button crushed in...

799 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark Essman 
#1 ·
I guess I did it with my elbow or something, but one of my window buttons is pushed in, broken in other words. I can still press up and down to close and open the window but I fear that if I use the button still the button will fall completely in the dash.

Is there anyway to repair this without taking apart the dashboard??? When they take them apart they can never put them back together the way they were =[ The dash starts making sounds after being taken apart and put back together I've heard..

#2 ·
MB's have lost of little stuff in place with n the dash so I would advise you to take it to a MB professional as they might be able to repair it with minimal intrusion, otherwise you can be brave and try it yourself.

I have removed the dash in mine before to fix a switch and even though I am pretty good with a wrench and I did the job correctly, if I needed to do it again, I would call in some expert help. It is not that hard to remove, just ALOT of internal stuff to keep track of when opened and making sure everything is seated correctly when it is time to reinstall that requires some skill, and time to do the job right.

You are probably correct that your switch will eventually break, so might want to fix it while it still works. Good luck.

#4 ·
No issues of squeaking or anything else upon reinstallation for me. I was VERY careful to make sure everything was in the correct location and made sure anything loose or slightly attached was properly secured.

I know some people have had issues with noise when they replace their dash, and MB dashes have alot of surface area, but unless you just slap it back in, you should not have any problems if you take your time.

I used moleskin to buffer all of what I saw as tight contact areas to make sure plastic dash corners were not rubbing against other plastic or metal area, etc, just to be safe, but mine is as tight as a drum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.