Whats the best leather seat cleaner? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Whats the best leather seat cleaner?

Hi I have a 2002 c240 with holes in the seat. I have read on this forum of people using Meguires to clean the seats. I would like to know should i use the spray, gel, or foam? I would like a conditioner and a cleaner.

Thanks for the advice in advanced.
jster611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
I have the perforated leather too. I have used the Meguiar's Gold Class Cleaner & Conditioner spray and it does not clog up the holes with itself. Just follow the label instructions.

I have some of their foam too but I'm afraid to try that. The Meg's GC C&C also comes in a can of pre-moistened wipes and that is probably safe as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: E-350/2010 4-MATIC (E-320/2000 R.I.P.)
Ive tried Meguires it was good, but I think leatherique products are the best! The pristine clean works great, wasn't impressed with Lexol product although not bad... and never tried Connelly or Zymol.
KADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Take a look at LTT Leather Care's Auto range - Auto Ultra 150 Kit | Car Leather Care | Leather Interior

Modern leather has a 'clearcoat' - Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen. Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water..

Once cleaned with Ultra Foam (cleaner..) use the Ultra Protect to form a barrier against every day soiling, dye transfer etc etc.

Jim
JimWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1987 560SL / 2003 ML320 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
Lifetime Premium Member
+1 for Leatherique, but the LTT product looks interesting. I had always thought water tended to dry out leather.
slik560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2005 230 Kompressor
All of the products mentioned above are good. Note that most new leather is actually coated (some type of plastic or polymer coating over the top of the leather), so do your research to find a product to meet your needs.
Creams or thick gels can clog the leather pores and actually trap dust and dirt instead of protecting it if applied too thickly which could leave a residue.

If you apply liquids or creams as opposed to a leather care spray, do so in thin coats via a microfiber towels so they have the time to absorb with any excess being wiped off after a few minutes.

Tons of info on leather care on various auto detail sites like autopia, etc.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
I have a 1998 C240 Sport with the same type of leather (with holes). Since i didnt clean the seats for a long time i decided it was time to do so... so i got ArmorAll leather cleaner and conditioner... i thought it did a great job becuase the towel i used keept absorving dirt.

Then i took it to a detailing company because they are the "experts" and they did clean it a little more. Then i guessed there should be something better and got the Meguiars leather cleaner (blue bottle) and conditioner (ivory cream). So far this is the best cleaner i ever used... my grey seats came back to life... trust me, if you know how that late 90s grey leather looked then just imagine i had full new upholstery.

These too Meguiars products have aloe which you can feel in your hands, the conditioning cream leaves a trully "tastefull" feel of new leather. None of these products will clog your seats holes.

Here comes one more tip... I work at the oficial BMW dealer in Guatemala - Central America... so i have access to all of BMWs car care products... and let me tell you their leather conditioner smells like heaven (100% leather aroma) and i asked the guys in the detailing department and they say it really cleans, protects and humectates the leather. This will be my next purchase.
Andres Cordon Pietroapolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Essman View Post
All of the products mentioned above are good. Note that most new leather is actually coated (some type of plastic or polymer coating over the top of the leather)
Quite true, and quite a shame. It's probably the main reason our cars don't smell as nice as the leather interiors in old Mercedes, Jaguars, etc.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
[Modern leather has a 'clearcoat' - Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen. Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water..]

+1 USA look into Leather Master's products

Upholstery leather should be routinely cleaned with a pH balanced, non-alkaline cleaner to loosen and lift grease, dirt and dust without overly drying the leather or affecting the hide’s natural pH. In addition to regular cleaning to remove abrasive debris and oils, leather requires regular replacement of its moisture (re-hydration) by regular use of a damp micro fibre towel
togwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Sedan Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Quite true, and quite a shame. It's probably the main reason our cars don't smell as nice as the leather interiors in old Mercedes, Jaguars, etc.
What do you mean by "old" mercedres? We talking old classic like the 70's? or just 90's old? Because my 95 E320 doesn't have it's nice leather smell anymore Are there any products that bring that leather smell back to life? I'd love to get into my W124 and feel like I'm in a brand new 2010 MB
1994 Cavalier Sedan blue

brandeis is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care