Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Window Moulding Replacement/Repair - Please help!

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  coolgenner 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2002 ML500 from Arizona. The car is in great shape, but the black window moulding has taken a beating from the intense AZ sun.

It appears that the black pieces surrounding the windows were once covered in clear coat. In most places, the clear coating is completely gone, and the moulding is turning gray. In the few places where the clear coat remains, the trim is nice and black, but the clear coat is peeling away.

I've read a number of suggestions on this forum for treating these parts with certain chemicals in order to restore their luster. What I'm wondering is whether these strips can be replaced or if they can be removed and refurbished. Is this possible? Would it be cost prohibitive? Is the trim particularly difficult to remove?

If I could remove the trim, I thought about taking it to a body shop and having it shot with black paint with enough flexant added to prevent cracking.

Any ideas? This is a beautiful car, but the window trim looks awful!

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
These are the metal strips and not rubber ones correct?

If so then yes they can be replaced which is what I recommend because getting them painted and then cleared might look nice for a time but I doubt it will last very long.

These trim pieces are finished out in a different manner (from that of the car itself) if I am not mistaken. So best deal would be to order new ones and make sure you use a UV wax product to keep them protected.

Anthony

#3 ·
It sounds like you are talking about the metal trim pieces to me. I have a similar problem and asked the detail people at my dealer. They said once those start to go, the only solution is to replace them. I never priced what that would cost because mine are tolerable, at least for the time being.

#4 ·
The strips I am talking about surround the window completely. I believe the pieces that surround the top and sides of the windows are rubber. I thought that the bottom piece was rubber as well, but I could be mistaken -- I'll have to double check when I get home tonight.

I'm guessing that these pieces would cost a fortune at the dealership. I've checked a few online MB parts vendors, but was not able to find these particular parts. Is there an online vendor with a comprehensive parts catalog that I can search?

Thanks for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.