BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2001 slk 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
hard water deposits on glass

any thoughts on erasing hard water deposits on glass? forget the clay bar application,or the #oooo steel wool, CLR that is used on showers stalls is like muriac acid on clear coat.must be something out there that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '91 560 SEC, '80 240D '87 560 SL, '91 300 SE , '93 190E Sportline '70 300 SEL 6.3
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Premium Member
Griot's garage makes two grits of glass polisher - a medium and a mild. You start with the medium and follow up with the polish. It works best with a random orbital buffer - and, yes, it does remove water spots.

Autogeek.net also has two glass polish systems: one from Diamonite and ond from DP. Check them out also.

Last edited by roncor; 02-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2001 slk 230
(Thread Starter)
so you've tried these products personally and they do work? i cant tell you how many products i've purchased only to find out they dont work.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
I would think that if you want to disolve calcium deposits quickly just try Lime Away. I was surprised. We bought a vacation home that wasn't used in a very long time. I couldn't get the calcium deposits off the toilet no matter how hard I scraped. Lime Away dissolved it after a few minutes.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal - www.Buellwinkle.com

http://www.mylavista.com
#5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hey magma red,

Sorry to hear about the Calcium on the windows!!! I would stay away from the steel wool that might make matters worse. Try looking for a good glass compound, or a calcium dissolver solution.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
#6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Sport
Lifetime Premium Member
I use Barkeepers friend for polishing glass. It does a wonderful job.
Attached Images

"The true delight is in the finding out, rather than in the knowing." - Isaac Asimov

1999 SLK230 Sport - Magma Red
2011 Ford Escape Limited, Hybrid
#7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 84 190D
I had this happen the other day, I used a rag soaked in rainX wiper fluid and a little elbow grease. Cleared them up for me!
#8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbarks View Post
I had this happen the other day, I used a rag soaked in rainX wiper fluid and a little elbow grease. Cleared them up for me!
If you're using rain-x on your windows already, it's probably just water spots on top of the polymers so it was the rag that really removed them. The rain-x wiper fluid won't remove spots on its own whatsoever.

Any unprotected glass will fill up with contaminants, and spot up in no time. Without some type of protectant in the seemingly porous crevices of the glass, it is like a sponge.

I agree, bar keepers friend will work. Personally, I use a specific glass polish on my clients vehicles. I cannot bring the name of the specific abrasives to bear at this particular moment. On my own, a good strong coat of rain-x on the glass 24/7 is extremely effective at preventing embedded contaminants and water spots if cleaned and treated regularly. From my experience, the windshield should be treated at least 3 times as often as all of the others, unless you have a rear wiper, than that window as well. Also, if you don't have lamin-x over your glass headlight housings, use it on the glass there as well (if it's not a plastic housing, then it's a big no-no.

#1 rule for rain-x, don't get it on ANYTHING except the glass, it will stain severely.

EuroLux:. Private Auto Detail
Portland, OR

Last edited by CharlesAFerg; 04-25-2008 at 01:23 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
As a big fan of Ajax, try this:

take a squirt of Ajax and soak the towel in water and clean your windows real good then rinse away the hard water spots, dirt and contaminants.. then apply some rain-x. like new again. crystal clear and protected.

only problem with rain x is this. if you have it applied already and you for some reason need use your window washer. the washer fluid mixed with the rain x can make it hard to see on rainy days.

so the key is not to apply a lot of rain x, a little goes a long way. try applying it with a sponge and NEVER use a paper towel to apply it. way too much dust particles in the paper towels and will not spread evenly over the window forcing you to use too much.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz rider View Post
As a big fan of Ajax, try this:

take a squirt of Ajax and soak the towel in water and clean your windows real good then rinse away the hard water spots, dirt and contaminants.. then apply some rain-x. like new again. crystal clear and protected.

only problem with rain x is this. if you have it applied already and you for some reason need use your window washer. the washer fluid mixed with the rain x can make it hard to see on rainy days.

so the key is not to apply a lot of rain x, a little goes a long way. try applying it with a sponge and NEVER use a paper towel to apply it. way too much dust particles in the paper towels and will not spread evenly over the window forcing you to use too much.
Um, Ajax will not break up hard water deposits...
Ajax is a dish soap and at best it removes some waxes and grease as a prep wash for polishing or LSP application... Using ajax without applying an LSP will be a direct culprit in the appearance of waterspots on not just the glass, but the entire vehicle!

If anything, you have had success by...
A. As all of your detailing photos have been, in the dark. Completely useless as for as any detailer is concerned.
as seen here...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/deta...ll-detail.html

or,
B. Removed by the friction of the cotton towel, but only when the "waterspots" were unmentionably mild, AND on top of a layer of previously applied rain-x. Just a ring of dirt on top of polymer glass protectant.

Ajax WILL NOT remove waterspots from bare, untreated glass with a towel, let alone any tool you apply it with. It's chemically impossible for the ajax to break down the mineral deposits.
...Let alone severely aged spots on old glass, good god.

What you are saying here is destructive, that is not advice.

EuroLux:. Private Auto Detail
Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.