Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wash Mit or Sponge

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  560 SEC 
#1 ·
I just received my new '06 SLK and it is time for it's first bath. I have been reading all the advice given in this forum on polishes; however, I am curious what is recommended for washing. Is a "wash mit" better than a sponge.

I would appreciate hearing from all the experienced people. The last thing I want to do is from day one be putting small swirl marks on this beautiful Mars Red finish.

#3 ·
Never EVER use a sponge on your paint surface. There are a couple of schools of thought on what to use. Sal Zaino recommends high quality 100% cotton Made in USA terry cloth towels. I have always been partial to a GENUINE sheepswool mitt. Not the cheap chenile or synthetic ones.

Rinse the car very well before washing to remove all loose grit.

Always use 2 buckets to wash with. One bucket with your soap mixture, and the second with clear water. You soap your mitt up, wash a small section, then into the rinse bucket your mitt goes for a good rinse before going back into the soap bucket again. You will be surprised how clean this keeps your soap bucket and now much dirt gets trapped in the rinse.

#4 ·
Also, be sure to use enough soap for the amount of water you're using. I use the two-bucket method as well, with a pair of five-gallon buckets. When I first started using Meguiar's NXT car wash, I wasn't impressed with the amount of suds I was getting, until I re-read the directions.

Turns out I should have been using a full five ounces of soap in the five gallons of water. When I used a measuring cup to dispense the soap, I was surprised how much soap five ounces really was - much more than I had been using before.

With the proper amount of soap, there were tons more suds, they lasted all the way through the wash, and I could feel that there was a lot more lubrication between the mitt and the surface of the car.

Scott

#5 ·
ByByeAmericanPie - 11/13/2005 7:09 PM

Never EVER use a sponge on your paint surface....
Sponges trap grit on the surface and grinds it into the finish.

#6 ·
I've always used sheepskin mitts, works great at both cleaning and soft so it doesn't scratch the paint. The problem with sponges is they don't release the dirt as easily when you dunk the sponge in the bucket. Although I don't know anyone that uses sponges to wash their car, many use brushes specifically made for washing cars. I've tried them but found they are too soft to really clean well and you can't apply pressure to a stain like with mitts.

I'm not a fan of the two bucket method, it's enough of a pain just to lug a single 40 lb. bucket around the car, 2 would be twice the pain. Instead I use a grit guard, it's a disc with slots that sits at the bottom of the wash bucket to trap dirt and prevent it from getting on the mitt. I got my from Meguiars but there are other brands.

Not knowing your water conditions I can't recomend a soap but in my area the water is very hard, about 400+ ppm of total disssolved solids (TDS) so I use a soap formulated for that like Meguiars NXT car wash. I've used other soaps and I can't the sudsing effect I like because of the hard water.

#9 ·
From what you read - Sponges trap dirt between the sponge and finish and tend to act like sandpaper. A good alternative is a 100% cotton chenille pad. They sell for around $3-4.00. Pull in allot of suds and lifts the dirt from the surface with the cloth fingers. Very little downforce is needed.

#11 ·
Read this
HOW TO WASH YOUR CAR…. THE CORRECT WAY
By John S. Piekarczyk Jr.

Sounds easy get a bucket of suds, a sponge, fresh air and sunshine, and have at it. The correct way to wash a car is not that easy. We’ll take a look at the supplies you’ll need, and the correct technique.

Suds  never ever use dishwashing soap. It’s made to remove grease and guess what, car wax is a grease! Not only that, but it streaks and can even soften clear coat. Buy a quality car wash soap. It will not remove wax and is formulated to lift dirt so it won’t
scratch your paint. I use Griots, but there are others that are just as good.

Sponges you got it, don`t use them. They can hold dirt in their pores that scratch paint. They also dull the paint. Get a good sheepskin wash mitt. They are soft on the paint and holds a lot of soap. You need two.

Sunshine don’t do it. Get the car in a shaded area and make sure the paint is cool.
Not only will you be more comfortable, but the soap won`t streak and you`ll get fewer
water spots.

Towels only use 100% cotton, no polyester. Polyester threads will scratch your paint. Ask your wife where the good ones are!

Ok lets wash!
First rinse the car well; try to remove all loose dirt. Make sure every panel is wet.
Start with the wheels and rocker panels. Dedicate one of your wash mitts for this and
only use it for this. Never use that mitt on painted surfaces. I like Simple Green for this area; it gets brake dust and tar.

Next re-spray the hood, roof and trunk. Do these as a unit, all the time keeping your mitt filled with soap. Do this area with the second mitt, which is ONLY for paint. Rinse this area and keep it and all other clean areas wet while you wash the rest of the car. Continue washing the sides and the bumpers, keeping the clean panels WET at all times. If your Sheepskin wash mitt de-lamb-inates, get a new one.

Drying. You have kept the paint wet, right? Here`s why. Now you’re going to dry your car WITH water! Yes water ! Respray your car and get everything good and wet. Remove the spray nozzle and turn it on to about medium. Start at the roof and run the water back and forth over the entire car. This will sheet the water off the paint and leave you with just spots of water to blot up with a 100% cotton towel.

Now sit back, admire your work, and have a few of your favorite SUDS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.