Wax smears on windshield?? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 94 C280
Wax smears on windshield??

I recently bought a 94 C280 in real good shape and low miles. It's my first Benz.

I have these vertical lines of what looks like dry liquid wax or water smears running from top to bottom all across the windshield. They've been there since I bought the car a month ago. I thought it would come right off, so I did not ask the dealer to clean/remove them. All other windows are fine. I tried windex, other spray glass cleaners, and nothing seems to work so far.

How do I get this off? It's particularly noticeable when the sun is at the rt/wrong angle, which is exactly at the time of my daily drive home after work. Grrr! Can I use a green Scotch pad, or would it scratch the surface? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
94 C280, 220k, "Magnolia" (college daughter's)
99 Suburban LT, 115k, "Burb" (wife and 5 children's)
78 F150 Lariat, 80k, ""Ole Blu" (farm truck)
Serge Trullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2003, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 82 300 TD
Congrats on your purchase. On getting your windows clean, you can use a soft sponge and ...

Congrats on your purchase. On getting your windows clean, you can use a soft sponge and Bon Ami cleanser to get them clean. Make sure that before you apply the Bon Ami that you wash the window with soap and water first, this will remove all of the loose dirt and crud. Take notice as to whether or not water is beading up on the windows after you wash with the soap. If it is, then the window is contaminated with wax or silicone or maybe oil from driving behind other cars in the rain. Regardless, a clean window will not bead water. The worst product that has ever been put on the market is Rain X. That crap should be outlawed. In Europe, I saw windscreen cleaning paste in every parts store that I went in just to get rid of the problem of water beading on windshields. It just amazes me that over here you have morons purposefully putting crap on their windows just to make the water bead. Sorry.......I degress. Anyways, the Bon Ami should take it off after a few times scrubbing. I caution you to use only Bon Ami as other cleansers may scratch. It is even better if you use the Original Bon Ami rather than the enhanced cleanser that you commonly see in the grocery store. I found the original Bon Ami on Bon Ami's website, they have a link and you can purchase it online. Even so, the stuff in the stores still works okay. For liability reasons, it states on the container not to use it on windshields, but I have used it for years and I have never had a problem with scratching. In fact, the owners manual for my 87 Cutlass 442 recommends it to use to clean the windshield. One other option is to try Autoglym car glass polish. Go to yahoo and do a search for Autoglym and you should find a yahoo store that sells it. I use this product as well and it works very well. That yahoo store is called classic automotive if I am not mistaken. I hope this helps. And I see that you are a fellow southerner. My old girlfriend went to Ole Miss. I 've spent many weekends on the road travelling to see her. Mississippi is a lovely state and the people are super friendly. Anyways.... I hope that I have helped.
seanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 05 E500
NO! Do not use a............

Quote:
Can I use a green Scotch pad, or would it scratch the surface?
NO! Do not use a green Scotch pad.
Never use anything abrasive on your windshield. You can try claybarring the windshield it works really well. [:)]
Old 05-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 82 300 TD
Try the Bon Ami! Trust me.[;)] It will not scratch your windshield despite what the dude...

Try the Bon Ami! Trust me.[;)] It will not scratch your windshield despite what the dude above this post said about never using anything abrasive. I do agree with him about the scotch pad though.
seanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2000 G500 NMLE, 2014 ML350BlueTEC
ZAINO Glass Polish!

Quote:

Try the Bon Ami! Trust me.[;)] It will not scratch your windshield despite what the dude above this post said about never using anything abrasive. I do agree with him about the scotch pad though.
I have used the original BonAmi Cakes and the ZAINO Glass Polish. While both work well, the ZAINO works the best and is easiest to use.
DUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Detailing Guru

I would use a glass polish. I have zaino glass polish, griots glass polish, and autoglym g...

I would use a glass polish. I have zaino glass polish, griots glass polish, and autoglym glass polish. They all work well, but i prefer the griots,
Old 06-13-2003, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

crap on their windows just to make the water bead

Quote:
Regardless, a clean window will not bead water.
Not true!

Quote:
The worst product that has ever been put on the market is Rain X. That crap should be outlawed. In Europe, I saw windscreen cleaning paste in every parts store that I went in just to get rid of the problem of water beading on windshields. It just amazes me that over here you have morons purposefully putting crap on their windows just to make the water bead.
Got it backwards, wax, oil, and other many substances will make water bead, Rain X and similar products make your w/s hydrophobic and do the EXACT opposite. The rain will sheet, improving visability and even eliminating the need for wipers at times! These products are now being applied by some OEMs to the front door windows to improve visibility.
Chuck V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

I would avoid ANY abrasive product..

that was not designed specifically for glass. Other products may not appear to scratch, but the damage could be on the microscopic level, which will weaken the w/s.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Try a mix of water, Russian vodka and Ammonia!

A good friend tells me that this mix works well.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

One wonders

Quote:
My old girlfriend went to Ole Miss
Why she broke up with a young nice little fellow like you is a mystery to at least one of us.

Are you a Med student looking for some gerontological babe to further your studies?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Detailing and Car Care