ON, Ottawa - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Young Street Garage - Saved my trip from a disaster

I recently was on road trip on my first visit to Ottawa from Boston in my 1998 E 300 (261,000 M ). Was all packed up ready to head back home when still in the Ottawa near St Laurent St. noticed a grinding sound front left wheel. 500 miles from home wtf. Notice driving past local MB dealer brought it in and service adviser extremely pleasant but offer no answers as to what was wrong until the could bring car in and they said they could bring it in right away. Well after 1.5 Hr of waiting I ask " How is it looking ?" My car still was not looked at and will be another 45 Mins.

Decided to look at this forum for an alternate repair shop and found Young St. Garage. Called YSG and spoke with Bruce and explained my situation he said bring it in for he had a cancellation and could look at it. I was able to get my car out of MB shop amazingly fast. Best thing they did , me too!

Upon arriving YSG was greeted and car up on a lift within 10 minutes and diagnose with a badly worn wheel bearing and had damaged the spindle. They showed me the spindle and ask how I wanted to proceed. They were on the phone for parts and located a used spindle and new pair of wheel bearing. I felt very comfortable with YSG had them replace both front bearings.

IMHO I felt I was treated at Young St as import customer and was not unfairly taken advantage of the situation. YSG also ponted out a couple of other issues on my invoice with my car that would need attention when I get back home. Made it back to Boston , YSG saved the trip from a potential disaster. Thank you YSG !
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
I service my SLs at Young Street Garage. They are expensive (110/h as of 2013), almost to dealership range. You have to take YSG recommendations with a healthy dose of skepticism, especially during less busy times they are concerned with keeping their multiple mechanics busy 40h/week. At the same time you don't have to worry about quality of work, they are not known for cutting corners or using glue and duct tape. No matter what you need they have someone who have done it before and will see it through to completion. In years of servicing my cars there they only botched repair job once (was faulty reconditioned part) and owned up to it no questions asked.

They tend to be very polite and friendly and service managers take time to explain repair jobs and answer your questions. Slow with any electronic communication, so call to talk to them. Their clientele are mostly b-boomers and it shows.

They also finally got loaner car going, but like with everything they charge extra for it.

Overall - you get what you pay for, and in case of YSG you pay a lot and get top-notch service.

Last edited by SinSL; 07-16-2013 at 07:32 AM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2011
Young Street

Not sure what MB dealers you have been to but all MB dealers I ever had service work done has been overpriced. All work estimates from dealers base on alldata recommended labor.

Just wish I had a quality MB repair facility near me in Boston.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2002 Orion blue C230K Coupe
Question body work repairs?

Def recommend YSG for MB work in Ottawa. Been going there for 3 years now. Very helpful and will recommend what needs to be fixed right now and what can wait, since it can get pricey. Bruce and Kurt are both great guys.

Does anyone know a good place in Ottawa to do body work repairs? I've got rust damage on the rear wheel arches unfortunately Its not a small patch that I can fix up myself so I'm looking around to get a pro job done hopefully!

2002 Orion Blue C230 Kompressor Coupe
Clear side markers|Stealth marker bulbs|Tinted windows
VVME 6000k HID kit
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 2009 GL320
Anyone know of a good repair shop around Cornwall, On?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1990 300SL
My '90 300SL started stumbling badly this summer to the point that I couldn't drive more than 5 KM's. My Partner is a Nurse and she enquired with her Colleagues. Turns out that anyone with a German car in the hospital she works at brings them to Merak at VolksHaus .... Problem was a faulty cam sensor when the engine heated up. Also had him replace the Distributor cap (222,000 KM's - it was original with an Oct/'89 stamp on it!!) and fuel filter (he suspected it was original !!). This after I had been told when I bought the car that it was meticulously maintained. Needless to say, all maintenance items will be done (by me) before she is back on the road. The thing I liked about Volkshaus is they recommended things that should be replaced - Merak indicated that I seemed the "home mechanic type" -which I am - and didn't just replace things unnecessarily.

132 Reis Road (Carp Road N off Queensway about 2 KM's)
Carp, Ont

Tel: 613-799-9879
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2008 b200
I wish that I had used the Young St Garage in Ottawa earlier than I did. I sent them an email with some questions a couple of weeks ago and got a very quick, thorough reply. In contrast, I never even heard back from the local dealer in the east end of the city although I sent the same email to them - and followed up with a telephone call. Kurt at Young St was very helpful and Young Street is far more my kind of place than a dealership is.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:59 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2016
Hi just wondering if you found anyone good to do body work repairs?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: