Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just bought a cls500 can i mod engine?

24K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  David Compton 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all , i just bought a 2006 cls500 at the auction yesterday with 43,000 miles
for 33k canadian before tax ( good deal?) remember this is canadian money lol , USA way cheaper for cars

I couldnt afford the cls55 amg and really love power so i asked a car place what i can do to the cls500 in terms of making it quicker and he said barley nothing :(

So my question is what mods are possible to the 2006 cls500 engine and what mods make the highest gain in hp? Is a chip possible?
Doesnt a k/n air filter help also?

Also car guy said i should not go over 20 inch rims on cls and i should get asanti's with a custom big lip and that would look nice.

I am willing to spend $6000 on engine mods and custom exhaust

#2 ·
This is from a UK tuning company, for my '05 CLS500 I'm sure a US company will give you a similar story;

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the upgrades Angel Tuning offer for your Mercedes CLS-Class.

AT A GLANCE QUOTE

Charge including VAT & Coming To You:-
£250.00

BHP Increase:-

Lb Ft Increase:-

ITG Competition Air Filter (Optional):-
£80.00

Economy Improvement:-
8-10% Overall / 14-16% Urban

FULL QUOTE

Engine Tuning

We offer engine remapping, the modern version of chipping which is the correct way to safely tune a modern petrol engine. With our ECU remapping you get smooth and progressive power, with improved response, that can be tailored to your requirements. Angel Tuning are able to offer tuning services at your location with our mobile tech team, who are fully equipped with the latest diagnostic equipment as well as a wide range of tuning hardware. Whilst we normally book 1-2 weeks in advance for mobile it depends when you book in as we can often get customers in earlier.

Our charge for the 5.0i is £250.00 including VAT. This price includes the engine tuning work to add up to 20bhp, (22lb ft torque) pre and post testing, acceleration testing and travel to your home or workplace.

Whilst we are unable to give an accurate figure on the improvement in economy after your car has been tuned, most people get between 1-3mpg improvement on petrol vehicles providing your driving style and the speed you drive at does not change! As the engine is running more efficiently, the emissions are actually improved so there will be no problem at MOT time should you have the car at that point.

We would like to state that we are not the sort of company that tries to get the ultimate extra 1bhp at the expense of drivability just to look good on paper nor do we quote the power figures from a single dyno run set up to achieve a short term burst of power to win your business. We know from vast experience what these cars can take long term and our aim is to achieve the best combination of power, longevity, economy and as mentioned, drivability.

ECU remapping is fully reversible, which means if you are unhappy with the results on the day, we will return the car to normal and thank you for trying us. After this, we offer a 14 day "cooling off" period** during which you can at least get the chance to test our work over distance and familiar journeys. If once again you are unhappy for any reason, we can either modify what we have done or indeed return the car to standard and give you a full refund. When you come to sell the vehicle we can return the car to standard for you free of charge****.

Other Upgrades from Angel Tuning

Angel Tuning can also supply an ITG sports air filter, which uses a patented tri foam filtration element as used in their competition induction systems. This will increase the power by a further 1 – 1.5% due to the improved air flow rate and further improve the throttle response. The additional price on this is £80.00.

Company Information

Our technicians are full insured not only to carry out the work on your vehicle but to fully test drive a modified car too, which is something we implore you to check if you decide to go elsewhere for a “cheap deal”.

Angel Tuning are a UK wide company with locations strategically placed to ensure coverage. We are big enough to cope with the largest of demands but still retain the small company approach to care and flexibility. By becoming an Angel Tuning client, you benefit from the experience of a company tuning in excess of 200 vehicles per month and a commitment to customer support and satisfaction. We are an independent tuning company, we are not dictated to by being a franchise of another tuning company and can therefore be flexible to every individual’s needs, be it from a dealership to a private individual.

#3 ·
Stock, 0-60 mph is 5.9-6.0 depending upon the test. Are you willing to spend 6k to get maybe .5 of a second? If you wanted a race car, there are plenty of other choices you could have made. To each his own I guess. Also, 20" wheels reduce acceleration, so if you spend 6k to get your half a second, you're going to lose a tenth or two with bigger wheels. You'd be better off with the stock 18" that are forged (lighter).

The best bangs for the buck are:

1. ECU tune
2. headers w/ more free flowing mufflers

K&N's MIGHT give you every so slightly more power, but only at the top of the rpm range. Nothing to write home about however.

In the US, you can easily get the CLS55 for the additional 6k. Not sure why in Canada the delta is so much greater.

Bottom-line, getting an real HP out of the 5.0 is expensive to the point where the 55 is a bargain if you want to get close, let alone having purchased the 550.

#4 ·
Man you yankees are so lucky your cars are sooo cheap out there.
Us canadians pay silly high for anything european lol.
Like here is a cpo 2006 cls500 with 58,000km "around 25,000 miles"

Used 2006 MERCEDES-BENZ CLS500 for Sale In Vancouver, BC - 3136300 - autoTRADER.ca

Lol they want 44k for it prolly go down to 42k and after tax thats $50,000 after our stupid hst 12% tax and i seen a post from 2008 where buddy was asking if a 2006 cls500 for 33k was a good deal lol , thats when the car was fairly new too.

I dont mind throwing 6k into my cls cause a 55 amg would be way way more.

I am going to throw 20" asantis on it with the custom lip and debating if i should pull stock harmon kardon system and put a double din alpine dvd deck and subs in it but im worried taking stock navi deck out will make my benz look not as fresh.

Hmmm i wonder if i could keep stock deck and still get it wired for subs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.