Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Does anyone have any mud flaps on theirs?

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rewillia 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone has mud flaps on their CLS and whether it can even be installed on sport package models?

I don't see it on the '06 catalog (only on the '08) and read some places that it's only for those without the sport package

I think it will not only protect the paint and body over time but will also add a slightly more aggressive stance (and I do mean slightly) making the under body hug the ground even more?

Opinions / Feedback?

#6 ·
yeah i know you guys are makin' fun of the mud flaps, but I wasn't talking about the regular cheap rubber mud flaps, i've seen a set of match painted hard plastic moldings acting as a mud guard that sat behind the wheels on a CLS, that sat about 2 inches below the body line, which i thought looked good, if i can find the pic i'll post it.

#8 ·
benbac:

I knew which ones you were talking about too. Anyone driving a CLS would have enough taste to AT LEAST go with the tiny plastic mudflaps painted to match the car. I knew you didn't mean the PepBoys AutoZone rubber Ford F150 confederate flag and matching gun rack sorta mud flaps. :)

Actually I agree I'm not sure how functional they would be, but it probably wouldn't look bad as long as they're short and don't hang to low.

If I had to chose I would go without them. My it's your car.

#9 · (Edited)
I got the ones for the 2009 Basic CLS550 model.
Part # B6 652 8225 for the front pair @ $128.00 cdn
Part # B6 652 8226 for the back pair @ $128.00 cdn
Keep in mind, US$ versus CDN$ means you get a 10% rebate. You may want to call a CDN dealer to see if they have the version your looking for. Road conditions here make the flaps a necessity for winter due to sand and gravel used as an abrasive on the icy roads.

#11 ·
Well did you install them (f&r flaps)? Curious to know and see if you did and have photos. Actually considering them (had them on our BMW 750IL and they were discreet yet actually functional and protected (especially from front tire throw backs) lower side mouldings) - same reason I am considering for my wife's CLS550.

#12 · (Edited)
MUD flap desaster

Yes, I installed them with great regret. A week later after instalation, I crawled over a speed bump at a local hospital and severely damaged the rocker panels on the front. No need to tell you I flew into a rage !! Since the flaps are made of a rigid plastic material, when I crawled over the hump, the flap caught the hump, bent forward, ripped the screws and retainers out of the metal & plastic liner, bashed in and cracked the rocker panels. Not a pretty sight and the sound as it happened made my skin crawl. Good news, the flaps held up and look like new though !! Went home, threw the flaps into the recycle bin, removed the rockerpanel, pushed out the huge crease, repaired and repainted the rocker panel and re-installed.

Someone at MB head office should be fired ! How a buyer could allow a product like the mud flaps and floor mats to be sold by their dealers is beyond me. They have thousands of people who design and manufacure an exceptional $100K car and someone in the accessories dept screws it all up. Same goes with the winter rubber floor mats. When the snow melts off your shoes or boots, the salted water slushes around and runs off onto your beautifull carpets mainly around the accelerator and the left dead pedal. What a mess !! The buyer must be the son of some VP or something to keep his job .

It's like these accessory buyers don't even try the products first, and this stuff is a profit maker to boot !. Looks good on paper, making lots of profit, customer should like it, i'll by it ! The buyer at HO is tarnishing the MB image. How can they allow that at Sr. level?

Anyway, I have driven without the flaps and after a winter and a half, I have found very little damage caused by the road grime. Actually the protective film applied to the back door and the dog leg ( metal between door and wheel) protects very well. The rocker panel, being some sort of plastic has suffered little paint damage. The paint they are using on this car is really exceptional and holds out well to aging. I really praise the people responsible for the paint, it truly is excellent.

I have attached images to my album of the damage.
WARNING, these pictures are for mature audiances, may cause nausia !!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/members/ptbenz-albums-cls-mud-flap-results-picture2102-img-0227.jpg

#13 ·
Laugh (at the thought of using/installing such devices on a 80K car) or Cry (when the road rash/small rocks/pebbles/or other countless streams of debris strown across our US highways gets hailed by the front tires along the sides of your car). Note: MB's installation of the clear shielding along and in front of the rear wheel-wells.

I ordered ours today, Front & Rear and have always had them on our other high-line automobiles. Being genuine MB accessories made in Germany and specific for the W-219, I am confident that when installed, they will function and in course with doing such be complimentary to the body-side design (and not be obtrusive like the "Yosimite Sam' WalMart versions).

To each his own, thats the beauty of a forum like this. Respect one another's opinions and give yours.

Happy to be a new Member and even moreso now having moved away BMW world to Mercedes. German Auto-Engineering prevails. (sans my Land Rover).

#14 ·
Just Installed

I just purchased a f/r set of MB orig equip mud guards for my wfe's 08 cls 550 (white) and think they look great (suttle appearance, approrpiately desiged and do not "stick out"....no yosimite sam's here they are engineered and manufactured by MB for the car. purchased from dealerfit.com and had my dealer install them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.