Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Some electrical issues with my 2000 CL500

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  television 
#1 ·
For the past week or so, I've been having some trouble with the electrical systems in my CL500. For starters, the SOS light up in the OCP and the two call buttons in the center console are flickering when the car is on. Not flashing, like on time, they're just sorta flickering. Sometimes when I start it in the morning, there will be all the standard warnings you get when you remove the battery (Brake system, ABS, ESP) and I'll have to go lock to lock a few times to reset those. Sometimes, the car will start, fire up, and then the engine will quit. I have checked the battery, and it's holding 13+V pretty well while the car is running, and 11.9V or so when the car is off, so it shouldn't be a battery issue.

Now though, the problem has become slightly more immediate. My ESL (checking with DAS) says it didn't receive the start enable from the EIS and so it's locked me in park. As well, the remote isn't working to lock or unlock the doors. The windows are doing weird things too, forgetting to close after I shut the door or whatever.

Overall, it sounds as though I've got an issue somewhere in a wiring harness, or maybe a ground? Where should I look first?

Thanks!

#2 ·
My voltages are higher. Don't recall the exact figures but for sure are higher. When off it is like mid 13v.

Do you have a source of a good battery to swap into it to check it.
Are the battery posts really clean.
Are the grounding straps really clean.

Personally I would start with battery and grounds first since it is easy and can be a source of issues.

Then I would start cleaning the harness connectors with Deoxit to get them clean. While doing that you can run tests on the harnesses to see if there are issues if you suspect something there.

A step at a time to remove possible sources of the issue as you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.