ABC Pump removal guide - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2003 CL500. Ferrari 360 spider. Ferrari 355 spider. MV Agusta F4. Hayabusa :)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ABC Pump removal guide

Hey. I have decided to do a write up regarding the removal of the ABC suspension pump on the CL models. I have done this because there is very little in the way of information of how to remove the actual pump. What very little is out there seems to be misinformation and regurgitated eighth hand rumor.
One such snippet of misinformation is that the pump is held onto the block using only 3 bolts. However there are 4 of them.. This 3 bolt theory from what i have read seems to be the general consensus. There are four gentlemen
Please use this thread as a guide and use it an anyway you like and undertake your task in any order you choose. This is just the facts of what i have done first hand. The only so called special tools are a set of Star shaped sockets.
The whole job took me about one hour 15 mins.

The reason for the pump removal is to rebuild my pump with a new seal set i have. This is due to my pump spewing out oil at a very alarming rate. However as you will see at the end of the thread, the cause of the leak is much more easier to rectify than first thought.
1\ Loosen the front 3 star bolts from the front of ABC pump pulley before belt removal. [pic1]

2\ Remove the serpent belt from the pulleys. Make a note of there orientation.

3\ Remove belt tensioner by removing just two star bolts.

4/ Unclip the electrical connection. also for better access i chose to remove the little earth strap and removed the hose holding bracket.[pic2&5].

5\Remove banjo bolt 1&2 [pic 3&4]

6\The first rear bolt to remove is a star bolt which connects the bump to the engine block via a bracket. pic 6 shows the position on the rear star bolt via a socket i put on to show you. Pic 7 shows the socket on the ratchet. Pic 8 shows the bracket and pic 9 shows were the bracket attaches to the engine block under the cylinder heads.

7/ Now for this little bugger, its the 13mm standard nut also at the rear of the pump. Its very hard to see and i have tried to show you the location via pictures 10&11 and the location hole in pic 12. It can be easily got to from the top through the slot with a long 13mm spanner.

8/ Remove the two front star bolts. There locations ore shown in pic's 13.

9/ Remove the pump pic15....easy

10/ In picture 16 i have mocked all the attaching bolts and nut, along with the orientation of the support bracket.

11/ NOW THERES THE REASON FOR MY PUMP SPEWING OIL in pic 17
A split reservoir.

Now you know
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 CL500. Ferrari 360 spider. Ferrari 355 spider. MV Agusta F4. Hayabusa :)
(Thread Starter)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 all bolts.jpg
Views:	2040
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	808377  
Attached Images

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: BMW 850+850CSi, Tbirds, Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DYI! That's what I'm talking about!

There seems to be a lot of space in that engine bay...was this just with the intake removed?

PS just for reference, how much does that ABC pump run ?

BMW 850i
BMW 850CSi
Supercharged Thunderbirds
Mustang

Last edited by CaifanSC; 02-28-2014 at 07:18 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
DYI! That's what I'm talking about!

There seems to be a lot of space in that engine bay...was this just with the intake removed?

PS just for reference, how much does that ABC pump run ?
First of, yes the intake tube is just pulled out. There are no clips, it just pulls out. And yes compared to the mid engine Ferraris i am used to working on, yes there is so much room. However the rear single 13mm nut on the ABC pump is a bloody awkward bugger to get at.
Price wise anything between 1-2K plus fitting How i laughed, so i simply bought a seal kit and rebuilt it my self.
Ignore the BS about the pump can only be primed and bleed using the Mercedes dealer computer at the dealers. And that you will burn the pump out bla bla bla. Its a pump!!! How can the computer feed the pump with oil without the pump turning???? Wake up guys This is as true as the information telling us that there are 3 bolts holding in the ABC pump But i understand that Mercedes want owners to pay the usual Mercedes tax
Its simply bleed by keeping the rear banjo feed bolts on the side of the pump loose after fitting the pump back into the engine bay. Without the serpent belt fitted, turn the ABC pump pulley by hand. At the same time blowing into the ABC oil tank to add a little pressure. Then as you are turning the pump, the oil is forced via the pump turning and the little pressure, through the pump and out of the feed banjos. This means the oil has now filled the pump and you are ready to go once the two banjo bolts are tightened. Once the engine has been started and the ABC UP/Down button cycled maybe 10 times times to bleed the remainder of the air, the systems bleed.
BigBlockin likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Cl600 under full restoration after accident, 1993 3000GT
Awsome writeup !!

I agree, at first when you read posts about the ABC system it is made up to be some kind of very complicated system that is almost impossible to work om DIY, it turns out, that most of the jobs can be done easily and at fair prices, if you know what to look for.

Could you be so kind as to link to where you bought a rebuild kit for the pump?

Thank you

David
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yea brother no worries. Buy the way for anyone in the UK, I have a spare rebuild kit if anyone needs it.
Here's the links .... Mercedes Benz ABC Pump Seal Kit MBZABCSEALKIT & http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/mebeabcpurec.html
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarispider View Post
Yea brother no worries. Buy the way for anyone in the UK, I have a spare rebuild kit if anyone needs it.
Here's the links .... Mercedes Benz ABC Pump Seal Kit MBZABCSEALKIT & Mercedes Benz ABC Pump Reservoir Cover MBZABCCOVER
I will remember that you have the kit

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
well taken mine off after suspension keeps dropping unless I rev the engine above 2000 rpm...
anyway removed it with the help of this post and now wondering how i can take it apart to refurbish the seals....Would also be interested in that spare set of seals if you still have them...
thank you for this fab post...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi, i was going to write a how to strip the ABC pump. However there is already a how to write up out there, and i was reminded on another forum that it was already done. So i never botherd. The only thing that i was going to do diferent was use better detailed pictures. But anyway....
You can easly find the write up if you look.
I am in the UK and if anyone wants the spare kit i have ( i am not giving it away, you can have it for what i paid for it from the USA) , just pm me. Simple.

Last edited by Ferrarispider; 04-24-2014 at 12:39 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2015
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for this very informative post! I read another, very discouraging post and was doubting whether I could handle this repair.

Only difficult part was priming the system. I used a hand bicycle pump with a sports ball inflator and pressurized the reservoir through the vent holes in the cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C215 CL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in