Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

are 5-spoke AMG alloys fragile?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  LondonThing 
#1 ·
My car has the 5-spoke AMG alloys (see picture...). I've had all 4 tyres replaced, with Dunlop D-maxx (I think that's the name - it has maxx in it anyhoo), and the car still shakes above 60mph on smooth tarmac!

Took it back to the tyre guy (who I trust, he's been doing all my cars for years now) and he says he thinks one of the rear wheels has a very small buckle to it, on the inside edge. It's just enough that you can see the inner rim running slightly distorted; the wheel balance machine decided that this wheel needed another 25g of lead opposite the buckle, which isn't that much...

But!

Looking at these AMG wheels, they seem to me to not be all that strong. The 5 spokes don't have buttresses on the inside edges, so the entire surface of the wheel is basically supported from one side - and the buckle is in the unsupported. inner edge!

Has anyone had problems with this specific design of wheel? I don't want to go to the hassle of sourcing a whole replacement real AMG wheel, only to find that they are softer and less structurally strong than is required for the job: if that's the case then I'd rather unlock the chequebook and buy something a bit better, like some Lorinser Turbines or the original SLR wheels up on Ebay at the moment...

See less See more
#2 ·
LondonThing,
In my experience they are very strong, but here lies the issue & problem.
The wheels have a tremendous off-set. To give you a visual example take a look at the minimal space between the "face" of the wheel and the inch or 3 to the outside of the wheel area then reach inside the wheel and feel the distance or space to the inside edge of that same wheel. The off-set is huge and it is basically free hanging on the inside. Take a phonebook for instance, if you have your arm bent at your elbow you can easily hold that book pretty steady. If you hold your arm out extended without bending your elbow you can hold it, but it is a little shakey. Case and point, I have customers that every year or 10,000 miles which we all know the 'sticky' low profile tires only last, budget money to have thier tires replaced and the wheels "trued - up" to correct the minor "run-out". The run-out is what your feeling. So its something that is a necessary maintenance with wheels of this style. Its not just Benz wheels but any wheel like these.

RdKing.

#3 ·
ok so what I now need to find is someone who can cope with the truing-up process. Its not a service that seems easy to find here in the UK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.