Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Seat cooling fan loose

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Austinite 
#1 ·
I started hearing an odd sound under the drivers seat when the seat cooling was on (2003 CL500). I reached in there and my finger got smacked by a blade from the small cooling fan! The fan is completely loose and is hanging by the wires.

Has anyone reattached one of these fans before? I have not removed the seat yet, which I probably need to do to get a better look. Thanks.

#2 ·
You can tilt the back of the seat forward, then slide the seat all the way towards the dash and up towards the roof. You can the get to the fans while standing outside the car. Mine fell out once and one of the blades broke off. It made the whole seat vibrate from that point on. You cannot buy a single fan from the dealer, they will sell you the whole seat cushion, they come preinstalled. They are a pain in the neck. i bought 2 fans off eBay in Germany and both worked but were off kilter as well and vibrated. I am now missing one fan.

Good luck though!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info!! Mine was missing a blade too so I just removed the fan for now by cutting the wires. There has to be generic fan somewhere which fits these seat. I'll look for one when I have time, and if I find one that works, I'll let everyone know. I haven't measured the voltage yet, but are these 12VDC fans?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.