Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anti Roll Bar Wont Stay In The Up Position

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
My anti roll bar on my CLK 320 (W209) wont stay in the up position. The other one works fine. One day it just stopped, nothing in particular happened. There are no warnings on the dash.

I'm wondering if any one has experienced this before, and if you have, what did you need to do to fix it.

Thanks

#2 ·
There is a spring loaded pawl that ratchets as you raise the headrest. My guess is that it is either broken or stuck. This should have no effect on the emergency roll bar operation as it uses a different mechanism. Try pressing the headrest button on the dash a few times to see if it's just stuck and will release. If not, you'll have to disassemble it to find out what is wrong. Unfortunately, each side's the rollbar/headrest is all one assembly and individual parts are not available, so if the pawl is broken, you'd have to replace the entire unit or improvise something yourself.

#3 ·
rudeney - Do you happen to know if the W209 R/B design is identical to that on the W208? My WIS has far less drawings for W209 R/B details as there are for the W208 cabrio. One of them is this one below on the R/B manual function.

Under 'Raising the Roll Bar' it states that during raising the roll bar, the spring-loaded lock pawls are swivelled hydraulically away from the gear rack.

So could this be a hydraulic fault?

Attachments

#4 ·
The W208 had the ability to remotely raise the headrests from a switch on the dash, this the pawl swiveling out of the way. The W209 does not have that feature - the headrests can only be raised by pulling them up manually. I see no detailed drawings on the
roll bar assembly in WIS other than showing it as one solid unit.

#5 ·
The roll bars are not supposed to stay up.

They are designed to shoot up (spring loaded) if the system detects the car rolling over or if the car is struck, e.g. from behind, to prevent whiplash injuries.

If they ARE up, they interfere with the convertible roof operation. They also interfere with rear view.

If they are up you can reset them with a long screwdriver or a length of 1/8 inch round steel or auluminum rod. There's a marker on the side of each pad where you shove the bar in, releasing the spring latch, so you can push the roll bar in wuestion back down.

#11 ·
LOL! I "RTFM" everyday while on the forums. Someone has an issue, so I dive into WIS, EPS, SDS, StarFinder, etc. to research it. I do it as much to try to help keep answer questions as I do to learn for myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.