Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bi-Xenon headlamp connector melted

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  CLKelly 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new here and new to my 04 Mercedes Benz CLK320 . (factory Bi-Xenon headlights)
Here is my problem in point form any help is most appreciated.
Left headlight flickered then stayed off.
Later hearing a clicking sound from light or what I figured was the igniter pulsing.
I removed headlamp bulb cover to find connector melted and arcing unless the key is off.
I cut the wires are the socket/connector so no headlight at the moment till I repair this.

Should I replace both the Bosch Igniter and Ballast or just igniter?
Been reading threads galore but not really clear on exact parts to be replaced unless a guy just does them all and move on.

Thank you kindly for any input,
CLKelly

#2 · (Edited)
Hi - and welcome to the W209 forum :)

I cannot recall anyone reporting this precise fault before. I've looked at the front external lights circuit in my WIS and it's not possible to guess at a singe fault here.

In your situation I think that I would consider replacing the entire lamp assembly, and forget locating the exact cause. As you probably realize, messing with the Xenon system is a dangerous business, and replacing separate components like the igniter (E1/E2 n2) and the control unit (E1/E2 n1) otherwise known as the ballast, can be like chasing your tail...

Is the connector a write-off?

Here are some relevant Bi-Xenon drawings from my WIS.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thank you for your help and WIS attachments was much appreciated!

I know the Xenon systems can be a little tricky but are quite repairable as long as you're mechanically inclined.
For anyone attempting a repair to their headlights here's what I did:

#1 Disconnected battery!

- Used a towel around the painted bumper cover areas to protect paint.
- Removed the following parts: front inner forward facing fender liner, upper/center grill bracket (Removed the left corner of bumper cover by gently prying corner of cover away while pulling headlight up and out)
- Disconnected any wiring attached to headlight
- Removed headlight plexiglass lens (held in with grey butyl tape)
- Removed chrome bezel around the bulbs
- Cleaned inside the lens and chrome bezel around lamps due to smokes up from Xenon bulb burning up
- Unscrewed the igniter and ballast.
- Recorded part numbers for both and ordered NEW on Ebay coming from Switzerland
- Grey Butyl tape can be purchased at most hardware store to reinstall the plexiglass lens to the base.

Note: When cleaning the chrome inside of headlight use a very soft cloth and non-alcohol cleaners.
Damage from harsh cleaners will remove the crappy chrome from bezel easily.
Do not rub chrome excessively!

I spent $155.00 CAD to purchase both ballast and igniter (comes with pigtail & socket for bulb)
Local Mercedes dealer could only sell a new headlamp assembly for somewhere around $1000-1200 CAD and even Xenon dealers & parts stores couldn't seem to cross my Bosch part numbers for parts.
From searching out a million threads on Xenon & Mercedes it would appear the headlight sockets will burn/melt and crack due to the voltage and heat etc. Ballasts are usually the culprit for the most part.
Notice that the other headlight socket is also looking half baked so I will most likely be soldering in another socket from Ebay at some point.

Hope this helps anyone if attempting future repairs.

Cheers everyone!

#5 ·
Did you hit a big bump before the arcing?
I did that soon after getting mine(used) so I removed the bulb-
no arcing
put in new bulb - no arcng but bulb flickered
had to replace ballast (used one off ebay)

have to be very careful when installing bubs to keep notch in bulb in correct place when reattaching the springs

yes- your situation culd be different

I also later had to replace the other ballast

#6 ·
Hi there,

No, I did not hit any bumps. I started the car and the left headlamp bulb started to flicker then it burned out and actually blew up inside the housing. The housing was filmed over with smoke residue that needed to be cleaned out once all apart. This all happened just after buying the car so possibly the dealer replaced a bulb without properly seated to the housing but who knows. This car is fairly low mileage at 94K / 54000 Miles but given the age these things can start to become problematic. This is my first Mercedes and years of driving and repairing many brands of vehicles I have to say it is very nice car indeed. Parts are pricey but with Ebay and Amazon a hack like myself can repair almost anything. Its fun and some of it is learn as you go :)

Regards, Kelly

#7 ·
I think it might be a curse more than a talent lol!
I enjoy toying with vehicles and this my first Merc I knew there would be a couple new challenges along the way.
Good learning curve for me and a fun, good looking machine to drive. She gets looks from everyone! :)

#13 ·
Depending on the projector used (hella e55 bi-xenon is normally used) and or the year it was produced will have two types of retaining types for the bulb.

Most common and easiest to me is the wire/bent dog ear type. This contacts the bulb in two spots. One on each side. Another method is an actual ring that holds the bulb in place. Both do the exact same thing.

The connection to the D2S bulb will always look like the picture below. Depending on the ballast/ignitor it might look different as far as being covered in metal or plastic..etc. But they will always connect to the bulb the same way.

Hope that helps.

-Nigel

Attachments

#15 ·
No didn't hit any bumps at all it just started flickering in the driveway then went out.
Checked it later and the connector was arcing when key on or engine running.
It melted so i knew I would be replacing the igniter and ballast. It just doesn't pay to dissemble these headlights without replacing all the components due to the hassle of removal.
These cars are getting old now so it would be expected in warmer climates to have to replace them. Here in Calgary, Canada it's only hot during summer so these have done well here for the year of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.