Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

The dreaded Xenon HID headlight question clk 500

7K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Loosecannon 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've really really been trying to avoid posting this, I know it's been posted and covered many times, I've been reading posts for months

My drives side ( RHD car) low beam xenon has a mind of it's own, it sometimes comes on, mainly stays off.... I've replaced the bulb, put a new ballast box in it, tried other ballast boxes, cleaned all the connectors, sprayed them with crc electrical cleaner, yet it's still random will come on, then won't, once I took it to my workshop, jacked the front of the car up to take the ballast out, and it worked perfectly,,

The only thing I haven't changed it the igniter , I have read that this can cause flickering when they are going bad, but I'm not getting flickering, if it comes to replacing the igniter (. Breaking the seal on the headlight and pulling them apart) I would rather look at other options, like trying to hook up more modern, aftermarket xenon setup if possible

Thanks in advance:eek:eek

#5 ·
I'm not sure - but I do not see why not.

The repair kit was only produced because of a known design fault with Hella ignition modules before the date of 28/04/03. What is the date on the sticker on your module?

If you do cut & resolder the 3 wires, make sure that you insulate the joints correctly with electrician's tape.

#6 ·
Hi Keyhole,

I'll check the date on the module on the weekend, I want to go over the connections one more time just to be sure, if it's the igniter , I might try and fine a similar spec aftermarket type, or off another model with the same wiring and hook it up on the inside and maybe strap it to the inside the black cap., it will be all soldered connections, with tape, or shrink wrap ,

I have a few bulbs and other ballasts, all seem to do the same thing,

Regards

David

#9 ·
If you are comfortable with baking your headlights you can easily take the igniter out which looks like this: See attached image.

It's held in my two t-20 or t-25, I can't remember off by heart. Unplug the 3 wire harness and remove, plug new one in and put the headlight back together again.

You can find OEM ignitors and ballasts on ebay all day long. 99% of them are OK. I just purchased two hella ballasts from this seller for my w211 bi-xenon retrofit:
nycunitedgoods | eBay

Here are two they have for less than $50
MERCEDES BENZ BMW AUDI VOLKSWAGEN MAZDA LAND ROVER OEM HEADLIGHT IGNITER | eBay

2000-04 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK-CLASS S-CLASS OEM HEADLIGHT IGNITER | eBay

Note that when I had my bi-xenons it looks like the previous owner of the lights had MB do a fix because I had the same end cap that keyhole posted where they snip the wires and the ignitors screws into the back of the cap. This is fine but messy looking. It's best to remove the headlight from the car, bake it, pull it apart (which is really super easy... 200 degrees in the oven for 12 mintues and it will take 30 seconds to pull the halves apart) then you can replace the necessary part without having to cut any wires and then be done.

-Nigel

#14 ·
I got the new igniter. I ended put cutting a rectangle out if the light cap. Fitting the igniter. Screwing it into place. And smeared clear silicone around it .. joined the green. Red and black wires. Soldered the joints with heat shrink over it...

Cut off the out igniter plug from inside. . Works perfectly

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.