Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY remove/install starter for all W209 engines

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mnusrum 
#1 ·
The procedure to get access to the starter is different for the various engine combinations used across the model range.

This post addresses that problem, and clarifies the engine type number that is specified in the WIS drawings below. Summarized as:

M112: CLK 240, CLK 320
M113: CLK 500 early, CLK 55, CLK 55 AMG
M271: CLK 200K
M272: CLK 350
M273: CLK 500 late & CLK 550
M612: CLK 270 CDI

It can be seen that each engine throws up a different major hurdle in order to get access to the starter. They are all removed from below, so you will need to raise the car.

a) 112 - remove the complete exhaust system.
b) 113 - remove the right engine mount.
c) 271 - remove the steering coupling, remove intake muffler to supercharger.
d) 272 - detach the right cat from exhaust manifold.
e) 273 - remove the complete exhaust system.
f) 612 - unhook the exhaust system and support from below.

The WIS procedures are below.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Great info, Keyhole!

I just replaced the starter on my SL550 (R230, M273 engine) and it was much easier than the W209. There was no need to remove any parts of the exhaust. The hardest part was breaking loose the top bolt holding it to the bell housing. It's way up there, with very little room to access. Although I am sure the factory torqued it to spec, it was MUCH tighter, likely due to heating and cooling expansion of the soft metals used on the bell housing. I had to rig up quite the series of socket extensions, a universal joint, and a "cheater bar" to break it loose. Once that was done, the rest was easy.

On the CLK550, I had to remove the exhaust system when I pulled the transmission. It's not as big a job as it seems. Just know that it is heavy. I used my rolling transmission floor jack to support and lower it. I also did not remove it all way back to the muffler and tailpipe. I broke it loose at the connection just behind the Y pipe. Even at nearly 10 years old, I had no issues with breaking the nuts and bolts holding it together. I sprayed them with some lubricant and let them soak for 20 minutes and everythign came apart just fine.

#3 ·
Additions to post #1

I have omitted other engines used on W209.

M156: CLK 63 AMG, CLK 63 AMG Black Series.
Diesel engines 642, 646.

Hurdles:

g) 156 - remove right Cat and right engine mount (not Black Series). Raise engine. Remove both engine mounts and raise engine with frame. (Black Series)
h) 642 & 646 - remove front Cat. Unhook the exhaust system and support from below.

Attachments

#4 ·
The procedure to get access to the starter is different for the various engine combinations used across the model range.

This post addresses that problem, and clarifies the engine type number that is specified in the WIS drawings below. Summarized as:

M112: CLK 240, CLK 320
M113: CLK 500 early, CLK 55, CLK 55 AMG
M271: CLK 200K
M272: CLK 350
M273: CLK 500 late & CLK 550
M612: CLK 270 CDI

It can be seen that each engine throws up a different major hurdle in order to get access to the starter. They are all removed from below, so you will need to raise the car.

a) 112 - remove the complete exhaust system.
b) 113 - remove the right engine mount.
c) 271 - remove the steering coupling, remove intake muffler to supercharger.
d) 272 - detach the right cat from exhaust manifold.
e) 273 - remove the complete exhaust system.
f) 612 - unhook the exhaust system and support from below.

The WIS procedures are below.
you're an angel for this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.