Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

03 clk55 heated seat not working

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
The passenger side seat heater in my 2003 clk55 has stopped working, when it went out I noticed an "electrical fire" smell. Any ideas on what exactly could have burned up? I'm assuming the actual heating element? And how hard is it to replace?

#4 ·
Before you pull the seat apart, it is worth doing some electrical checks of the resistance of the heater circuits using a test meter set to the Ohms range. I don't know the exact resistance, but it should not be open-circuit or short-circuit or shorted to earth.

Identify connectors X55/3 and X55/4 beneath the left & right seats from the WIS drawing below of the Upper Control Panel external circuits. Remove the connectors, and measure the heater resistance at the socket pins as below. The 4 heater circuits are shown on the drawing as follows:

R13/1, left front seat cushion heater via X55/3 pins 1, 4.
R13/2, left front seat backrest heater via X55/3 pins 3, 2.

R13/3, right front seat cushion heater via X55/4 pins 1, 4.
R13/4, right front seat backrest heater via X55/3 pins 2, 3.

Attachments

#5 ·
I know ABSOLUTEY zero about electrical so I would probably need a step-by-step guide telling me exactly what to do. So I think this type of job might be out of my scope of work.:eek
But do you have the instructions to remove the element from the seat?
I might just end up taking this to a shop once the seat is removed. Oh well

#7 ·
Take a peek (search) in the W210 forum. More than one member has removed the seat cover, located the damaged area and spliced the element wire back together, which typically is all that's needed. It's documented with pictures to help the process along. ;)

Given you symptoms and description, that is likely what you've experienced.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.