Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Passenger electric seat not working

104K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
As stated in the title my passenger power seat doesn't work at all, down, forward, backward, backrest, headrest, memory function nothing works at all. Replaced the switch in the driver door and still doesn't work.i needed the switch anyway but before I throw any more parts at this thing anybody have an idea of what it could be? Aren't the 2 other things that operate the seat the door control module and the seat module?
Thanks guys

#3 ·
Does the headrest lower if you manually fold the seat forward? If not, then the seat controller has no power or is bad. If it does, then at least that works so it may be the door controller. Do all the other door functions work, such as the lock and window?

#5 ·
No it doesn't. Window and lock function work. So I guess it's the door control module?

Seat motors do fail, but not all of them together..:) Some folks have had success by 'resetting' the Seat Adjustment control unit modules (N32/1 or N32/2) by removing/replacing the relevant fuse. (date dependent)

For US (LHD) models:

Driver's side: N32/1
Up to 31/05/04 - fuse f27. As of 01/06/04 - fuse f29.

Passenger side: N32/2
Up to 31/05/04 - fuse f38. As of 01/06/04 - fuse f34.
If it's inside the car I have removed it withno luck.

Thanks guys the 2 guys I was hoping would help lol

#4 ·
Seat motors do fail, but not all of them together..:) Some folks have had success by 'resetting' the Seat Adjustment control unit modules (N32/1 or N32/2) by removing/replacing the relevant fuse. (date dependent)

For US (LHD) models:

#15 ·

For US (LHD) models:

Video I made on how to fix this.

#14 ·
Jump starting is bad idea, I did with my 2004 CLK 320 as I didn’t use for a long while and battery died, and jump started it that’s when all the problem occurred. It burned down fuses. With mine it burned down my instrument cluster and my SAM unit, did manage to change the instrument cluster but my passenger seat won’t work. I was advise it is the relay needs changing I am yet to identify which one. Till then I’m yet to find out the result.

#16 ·
As stated in the title my passenger power seat doesn't work at all, down, forward, backward, backrest, headrest, memory function nothing works at all. Replaced the switch in the driver door and still doesn't work.i needed the switch anyway but before I throw any more parts at this thing anybody have an idea of what it could be? Aren't the 2 other things that operate the seat the door control module and the seat module?
Thanks guys
Thanks guys
There is a small micro switch under the seat in the back towards the outside. If it falls out of the insufficient plastic bracket, it will not engage and give the the "unlocked seat message". Also, nothing on the seat will work. I wrapped a tiny 4 cent zip tie around the switch to keep it engaged and the seat works fine and the message is gone. 4 cents!

#17 ·
hello. i have similar things happening with my passenger seat. every function works besides sliding backwards. i walked out to my car and noticed my pass seat was moved forward. i was at my work, doors locked and nobody else there. the seat moved itself all the way forward into its final position. message on dash said something like seat back not locked right side. well my car is a 4 door and doesnt have the option of unlocking the back rest. at least not that i know of... lol. any help would be great. might take my power prob and try to put power directly to that motor function. any time is appreciated. ty

#20 ·
Hey y'all. I have something to add to this little forum regarding my Seat experience; maybe it will help someone out there.

I have a W222, 2019 S450 that I picked up in Germany nearly five years ago. Last week, the passenger seat controls on the door went dead: no heat, and no movement of any of the adjustments. I thought it must be a fuse, but no, it was not.

I decided to take it to the shop, against my better judgement. But, I'm no mechanic. Anyway, got a call that they would need to remove the inside door panel to continue the search for the problem, and they wanted 1 hour of time to do it at $180/hr. Okay.

They called back in 20 minutes and said that once in, the tech disconnected the wiring from the switch, reconnected it, and Voila! I could have done that, and so can almost anyone. I'm not bitter, just disappointed in myself for not at least making an attempt.

So there you have it. If you have a similar situation, spend 20 minutes (plus 5 on YouTube to watch how easy removing the door panel is) and maybe you can save some cash, but more importantly, maybe you'll give yourself a pat on the back.

#22 ·
Welcome to the forum @cardacig - please take a moment to read the information on the links below. It explains how to use the forums and update your user profile so that your car's details and your location appear on each post below your avatar. This is good information for others to know when trying to help. It also has good information about how the forums are organized and how to use the search feature:

Find your Forum Section, Navigate & Search

Complete your profile.