Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

coolant leak?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Twice I thought I smelled antifreeze while driving my 2007 CLK (60k miles). I have opened up the hood several times after prolonged driving and think I smell antifreeze. My tire man thinks he smelled it also but he could find no leaks when replacing my tires this week. This started about a month ago and the coolant level remains normal.

Should I worry about this now ? Is it normal to smell a little bit of coolant?

By the way, do you really have to replace coolant with the expensive Mercedes stuff rather than what you buy in the store

#2 ·
IMO you shouldn't smell antifreeze unless you have a leak of some sort. Leaks can be external, i.e. a hose etc. or it can be internal, i.e. leaking through the radiator into the transmission. Unscrew the radiator reservoir and have a look at he color of the fluid in the tank. If the fluid is a different color than normal, i.e., you have antifreeze contamination into the transmission. I do not think it is a good idea to ignore this situation as ignoring will only cause a more expensive repair in the future.

Secondly when you look in the reservoir, notice if the level is low. This will be another indication of a leak.

Good luck with the repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.