Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replacing transmission on 2009 CLK

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I purchased a 2009 CLK 350 Grand Edition in November 2014.
I recently poste thread about my issue...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/2247586-check-engine-2009-clk-350-a.html#post11080194

Long story short, I feel a jerk either when I am driving at a mid/high speed and the car is shifting downwards. I feel like as if someone bumped the rear of my car.
Once the check engine light turned on and then came off but I took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission mount and then stated they did an computer update etc.
Once they gave me the car back I continued to feel the jerk and I took it back to the MB dealer and now they stating best thing to do is replace the transmission. The warranty will cover it but now I am worried...is it a good idea to change the transmission?
Will this lose value on my vehicle? (sorry I don't know much about this)
Will MB dealer provide me with a new tranny or a rebuilt tranny?
Is there a risk I may have more issues in the future?

My car is a 2009 with 90k miles so the dealer said since the high mileage they rather just replace it since the warranty does cover it.

Any feedback would be great!!

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
if warrenty covers it go for it. you have to ask them if they will rebuild it or replace it with rebuilt or new. rebuilt trans should make value go up

#4 ·
Any input will be greatly appreciated....I just would like to know if getting a new transmission will be risky or not.

I am completely nervous about the whole thing due to the fact its my first Mercedes and just purchased it in November and having all these issues now.

#6 ·
The 7 speed gtronic transmissions have been problematic although the 2005 models seem to be the worst (of course that's my model!). The symptoms that you are talking about are quite common (mine has the jerk when slowing down) and to be honest some haven't had a single problem, others have had fits with them.

I would go with the new or rebuilt transmission if for no other reason than at 90k you're probably getting to the end of your warranty. With a new or rebuilt you're going to get additional warranty time and mileage on the tranny and as I said they have been an issue. In addition they're giving you a new one for free and that will add to the time you have before another problem (if you have one). I would think that would raise the value of the car not lower it.

One thing I will add, these were the transmissions that Mercedes considered to be maintenance free. They're not. Change the fluid every 40,000 miles and that should help. Be aware that the fluid changes are expensive, around $450 and unless you are a pretty skilled mechanic they are NOT DIY.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
@nimrod: The jerk and harsh downshift when slowing can be fixed by the dealer with new TCU software. It makes a big difference and is worth the $150 most dealers charge for this.

As for maintenance, MBZ does call for a one-time service of the 722.9 transmission at 39K miles. This is draining the fluid (including the torque converter, which should have a drain plug) and replacing the filter. After seeing the condition of mine, I highly recommend changing it regularly - every 39K or even every 30K miles.

#9 ·
Strange. The typical problem is a clunk or harshness as it downshifts to 1st gear when slowing. The revised software only downshift to 2nd until the car stops, then it will shift to 1st. One way to see if this is your problem is to drive in "C" mode. If the harsh clunk goes away, then that's the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.