Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Newbie owner of a CLK with a key problem

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  keyhole 
#1 ·
Hello owners and forum members

My name is Sam, this is my first post, hope you are all doing well and good.

I recently purchased my first car straight after graduation from uni.

My car is a 2005 clk220 it came with 2 keys and here lies the problem-

The key I'm using works fine but it's my spare key that has the problem-

The spare key buttons don't unlock or lock the central locking or the boot I replaced the batteries as I thought that would solve it but that didn't fix the problem, I thought it was the "chip" that was the problem but the key still starts the car so I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with it

Oh I also went to my local dealer he suggested I replaced the key all together and have it reprogrammed at a cost of £300 wow I don't think I'll be doing that until my other key fails.

Any recommendations or and way of fixing the problem

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello sorry for the late reply no the red led doesn't work.

I haven't taken it apart yet, have seen the youtube video on how to, but Im too busy at the moment

Would the dealer actually reprogram for free as a good will gesture ? Never tried asking them too.

To be honest I was a bit blown away by the price tag to get a new key fixed £200 quid

#7 ·
Normally, these keys with the electronics inside are pretty robust. Mine has been dropped endless times and once survived a washing machine cycle inside the pocket of coveralls.:)

In your situation, I would examine the key circuit carefully using a magnifying glass. Look for 'dry' soldered joints on the printed circuit. That is the most likely fault here. Also, be sure that you fitted the batteries the right way!

However being reliant on only one key is not too smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.