Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Folding door mirrors

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MBCLK500 
#1 ·
My folding mirrors fold in but are starting to creak at bit and sometimes one of them, can be either won't fold out without a little tap!!

Is their somthing I can do to lubricate them to make them move smoothly and freely again??

#4 ·
Andy1964

As far as using any kind of oil It will build up with dirt and stick either open or closed. You will have to clean it really good just to get it to move again. I've always use a wax that you can buy for Motorcycle chains. It will not collect dirt because it is not an oil. You apply it, work the mirror back and forth a few times and let it dry.
This also works really well on all door hinges, trunk hinges and anything that moves like a hinge :eek:)
Next time I'm at my shop I'll see if I have a can left on the shelf and let you all know what the name of it is. In California I buy it at Lowes Home Improvement store. Remember, It's a wax not n oil

Good Luck

#8 ·
It ain't much but a couple pins that complete a circuit. But open your ashtary and pull up at the front of the large wood piece around the shifter. Two clips at the front, two "hook" tabs at the rear. It puls upp and forward. Once you have that up, there is ablack plastic collar at the base of the shifter underneath. Rotate that like 1/4 turn then the shifter will pull off. There may be an electical connector too - I can't remember.

#9 ·
Yes there is an electrical connector. That's what makes it an Keyless go switch. Non Keyless go Vehicles don't have the button or any electrical wires to them.
Thank you for the help
I'll order the new shifter and get it in. $300.00 dollars for a new Burl-wood Keyless go shifter and I'll be set

#13 ·
Yes Rod is the man. He has walked me through a couple of minor things that were wrong with my CLK. I love this car, Nothing really ever goes wrong with it. It's 10 years old with 67K miles on it.

I have done everything he told me to do. even went back in and asked again a couple of things to be sure I was doing it right. It's not any of the antenna's It's not the fob's, I have both. So he says it comes down to the only thing left. The shifter it self.

#14 ·
before spending hundred of dollars on a new shifter and KeylessGo button, I'd test it - you should be able to disconnect the wiring harness and use an ohmmeter to check continuity. If it is the button that's bad, then you might be able to so a "DI" repair of it. Just because MBZ doesn't sell it as a separate part doesn't mean it won't come apart. I once had problems with the TouchShift +/- function on my ML and was able to disassemble it to clean and adjust the electrical contacts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.