Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help with 2004 CLK Phone.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
My car has the built in phone and Im looking to interface it with the Bluetooth puck. So I already figured out what I need to do for the puck but I can't find a manual on the phone online and I'm super curious if anyone knows what the two little buttons are for in the center console. One has an icon of a crescent wrench and the other is an icon of an "i". Also can I play music via my iPhone through the Bluetooth puck or is it solely for phone capabilities only?

#2 ·
The little buttons in the center console are to summon help from Mercedes Benz, nothing to do with the Bluetooth.

As well as the Bluetooth "puck" that goes in the center console, you'll need the wiring harness adaptor that goes with it, and maybe also a Bluetooth module that goes in the trunk somewhere.

AFAIK the Bluetooth interface is for the phone only. You may have an Aux or iPod jack in your glovebox you can use for an MP3 / iPod device.

MB's audio systems are a dog's breakfast of components, upgrades, incompatibilities, etc.

Why they couldn't just fit Blaupunkt units and be done with I'll never know.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I used to have a 2004 CLK500 and had a working phone. For that to work, you need to already have the phone cradle thing in the center arm rest area. Originally, the car came with a Motorola flip phone that fit in the cradle, which I used for a while. Later, when I got a smart phone, I ditched the Motorola and got the Bluetooth puck instead, which fits in the cradle where the Motorola phone used to go. I think I had the puck that looked like this one: Mercedes BMW Audi V60 Bluetooth Puck | eBay. Not sure if the "MHI" version works or not, but I recall seeing somewhere that it does not. Do some searching.

The puck will only do the phone, not music. Bluetooth has two main functions, hands free phone and music audio, and this is hands free phone only.

Also, as posted above, the "i" and "wrench" buttons call Mercedes for the road side assistance and stuff. I think the car must have it's own built in phone system, independent of your own phone. I experienced this once when I was hot rodding a bit too much, and took a fast turn down a road that dipped down, and the rear wheels left the ground. The car thought I must have flipped, so it cut the engine, released the rear seat roll bars (it's a convertible), and then called 911 for me (not through my phone). I'm like WTF, but I just told the operator that I'm all set, that my car called 911 for me. I just didn't know that would happen.

#5 ·
That was the automatic teleaid (similar to GMs onstar) if the car thinks it's been in an accident it will notify the operator who will call the police. Now they switched to Mbrace which is a different system and doesn't work with the teleaid unless you pay big bucks and have it switched over.

#6 ·
mBrace is the same as TeleAid, but it has a few additional features. Older TeleAid systems can be subscribed as "mBrace" but they may not support all the newer features (such as remote unlocking via smartphone). The difference in systems is whether it uses an analog or digital cellular interface. Prior to MY2005, the TeleAid systems were analog. As of MY2005 they are digital. Since the analog cellular network was sunset years ago, those cars prior to MY2005 would need a new digital cellular transceiver. It's an available upgrade, but for most people, it's not worth the high price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.