Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine Oil Leak

11K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Today while changing oil I noticed a slight oil leak/seepage from a switch/sensor on the left rear of the engine block that drips on the catalytic conv. It is not from the cam seals on the head. Already replaced those. Any idea what this is and can it be replaced while engine is in the car? Wish I had a pic but hope someone can help identify it.

#2 ·
I think the oil level sender is back there. It would be helpful if you'd update your forum profile with your model and year so we'll know what engine you have. If you can't get a pic of the part, at least try to describe what it looks like and where it is in relation to other parts.

#10 ·
Sim. Problem

I have a 07 550, light oil leak on the right rear of engine, so tight can't see. Also how do you ck oil level, can't get info system to go there, no dip stk. now my ck eng light came on. My mec is 75 miles away, may not be the right car for living in boonies, small town.

#11 ·
Your MY2007 CLK550 certainly should have an oil dipstick. It does have an electronic oil level sensor, but its value is not available for display on the MFD - it will only alert you when it senses that the level is about a quart low. The oil leak is likely the "cam plugs" that are on the rear of the left bank head - a common problem and a very easy and inexpensive fix. Parts are about $15 and it takes 10 minutes to replace these. I doubt he oil leak has anything to do with you MIL - you need to pull codes to see what's going on with that.

#13 ·
Rodney, I wish the car had a oil dip stick, but not this one, after also talking to my mec he said some models and years didn't have them, I guess some genius decided if you drove an expensive and classy sports car you shouldn't have to check the oil. Old age has done me in for the do it yourself so the leak has to wait till I get it to the shop. Glad you and others all agree it is prob. minor. I don't have a reader so unable to get codes, most of what I read indicates prob. An immision issue but I'm old school and that type of light mention don't drive till fixed. So I guess I'll rent a trailer and tow. There are no reputable MB shops close by, one dealer about 75 miles north, one about 50 miles east, and 70 miles south, a good Indip. about 70 miles south, I might need to work on my shade tree skills and try some do it yourself.

#14 ·
I really don't understand why your car doesn't have an engine oil dipstick. My 2007 CLK550 dies, and ever other M273 does. What is there instead of the dipstick? A cap? I wonder if someone removed the factory dipstick and replaced it with the cap from an M112/M113 engine? If that's the case and you want a dipstick, the part number is A2730100072. It's about $25 at the dealer, $16 + S&H at parts.com

#15 ·
Oil dipstick

Rodney, thanks for making me feel stupid, after looking at pic you posted of the rear of an engine, I realized that the oil dip stick is at the rear where I am used to a trans dipstick, then Remembered. a lot of newer autos even American. made don't have trans dip stick.plus it's yellow! Older am made trans stick was yellow, go fig. Also wher can I get a scanner so I can read codes, are they reasonable? Thanks again
Tom

#16 ·
No worries! And yes, your 722.9 transmission has no dipstick or even fill tube - the level is checked and fluid added via the drain plug.

As for scanners, any generic OBDII scanner can read ECU codes, but not other systems (TCU, SRS, ESP, etc.) You can get a "Chinese clone' version of the dealer' SDS (Star Diagnosis) system for around $500. For a hard-core DIYer, that's the way to go as it can read, reset and program all system, plus it includes WIS (Workstation Information System, i.e. shop manuals). It does have a learning curve, can be "dangerous" and is expensive, so if that's not for you, check into the "iCarSoft" handheld scanner (not to be confused with the CarSoft software system). Another member mentioned this recently and it looks like a nice scanner for around $150. It can read and reset all systems, but it doesn't do any programming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.