Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2005 CLK500 Cabriolet Roof Malfunction

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  iceberg5lim 
#1 ·
Hello all. This is my first time posting and I am no Mercedes expert so excuse if I don't call a component the right name. I have searched all day for a solution to my problem with no luck so here it is.

I was driving and hit a minor speed bump on my commute. This caused the computer to start flashing that my roof was in operation as if the convertible top was trying to open or close even though I was not pressing on the convertible up/down button. When I got the chance to park my car I let the top completely down then back up hoping to clear whatever the issue was. NO LUCK. On top of that my windows were now slightly down as if the roof was not completely in the up position. I had my mechanic reset the main computer module with the hopes I could get the windows back up but that didn't work. When I got home I inspected the car to find a "plastic spring clip" in the roof storage location had broken off and was the cause of the issue. The "spring clip" I refer to pushes on a small green button telling the car that the roof is completed the open/close movement.

As a temporary fix I jammed some electrical tape and paper to simulate the clip pressing the little green button but I want to get this fixed officially because I feel my temp fix may be unsafe.

What I want to know is what is the replacement part I need to fix my problem? Also, more importantly, can I replace/ repair the part myself or will a mechanic need to do it? (I am not a very mechanical person)

I have links to pictures of the broken part in question as well as my temp fix. Thanks

Temp Fix
Broken Part
How the part should look

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.