Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Faulty left rear vario pump CLK Conv 2005

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  keyhole 
#1 ·
Would anyone have an opinion on the fact that upon the 2nd time of operation of the roof since a rear end smash/bump, the garage now diagnoses the rear left vario pump is leaking / faulty.
We picked this up as the 2nd time we tried to operate the roof after the smash/bump the roof unlocked and windows dropped but nothing else. It then won't re-lock now either, but it will pop the windows down and up. No further operation.

We had no previous problems with the roof at all.
I have read other posts of slowing down of roof speed / issues beforehand but we have had none of those.

I live in the middle east so no second opinions available, just the main dealer.
The smash involved the full fab design bumper having to be replaced and something has been done on the boot lid as we have been rebadged. We never saw the full extent of the bump (only have one pic) as the car was with the garage being serviced at the time it occurred.

May all just be a huge coincidence, but my limited googling / technical mind shows me this pump is in a particulalry close area to such a smash.
Thanks for any thoughts in advance !!

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad luck that your car was damaged while being serviced.....:(

You are right when you say that the pump is in a vulnerable position, as it is located in the trunk behind covers, on the left hand side, close to the rear light assembly. There is a mixture of cables and hydraulic lines around the pump, any of which could be damaged.

#3 ·
Are we dealing with a leak or an electrical problem?

the garage now diagnoses the rear left vario pump is leaking / faulty.

... no second opinions available, just the main dealer.
You are right when you say that the pump is in a vulnerable position, as it is located in the trunk behind covers, on the left hand side, close to the rear light assembly. There is a mixture of cables and hydraulic lines around the pump, any of which could be damaged.
Kerriea,

welcome to the forum! Where about are you in the Middle East? Since a possible leak was mentioned, did you find any hydraulic fluid on the ground?

Just a quick clarification: there is only one pump, and it is indeed in the left rear. Plus, there are seven hydraulic cylinders; see diagram below.

Since you don't have the luxury of a second opinion, you may need to dig in a little by yourself. The trunk panels are easy to remove, and you will see whether you are dealing with a leak at all. If the fluid level is correct in the pump, then you are not having a leak causing the malfunction.

Frankly, the malfunction sounds like a faulty wire or fuse/relay. Take a look at the photo below, which shows the pump as mounted behind the left rear wheel. Maybe you can find some wire or relay obviously loose or damaged?

The pump itself is hard to damage by just bumping into it, and it would be quite a coincidence if it failed for reasons other than a cut line, wire or relay related to the accident...

Hope this helps, and we look forward to your update,

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt Convertible Top Hydraulic Cylinders - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Attachments

#4 ·
Good to see you're still around Klaus. - and you could be right in your assessment above. It could be a chafing wire in a loom somewhere.

Also, after a smack in the rear that required a new bumper & trunk lid, who knows if one of those many limit switches is now mal-functioning?

I guess that the OP would have cycled the soft top operation before accepting the car back following such an accident. All this repair work would be covered by the workshop's insurance policy surely, so isn't this their problem to resolve?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.