Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Clk500 vs clk55 amg

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
So I was on the hunt for an 03 clk500 with around 60k miles for my next daily driver. However, I just ran into an 03 clk55 amg with only 47k miles in my price range.

It's really clean it would appear in the photos. Owner has rough English but he did know the car. Said the only problem was sun roof wouldn't work.

Is this a common problem? It's obviously not a big deal but wanted to know the reliability and daily drive-ability of a clk55 in comparison to a clk500?

Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
The CLK55 is a great daily driver. The suspension is sportier, but not punishing like a BMW "M" series. Other than the more powerful engine, beefier brakes and suspension, and faster transmission shifting, it's still a CLK. I say go for it!

#4 ·
The only real difference in maintenance costs will be in brakes. The larger AMG brakes are more expensive to replace, mainly because they are specific to the car and since so few were made, there isn't as big a demand for aftermarket parts.

#5 ·
Did you check the sunroof? If it doesn't move at all then you can live with it staying closed. If the battery was removed recently there is a process you need to follow with the windows and sunroof so they understand where fully open and fully closed is. Unless this is done the sunroof will open but not travel the full length automatically. I'm not aware of any chronic sunroof issues.

If the sunroof is the only issue I say "go for it".

#6 ·
And the sunroof is the same - no special "AMG" parts there. Like mettleship said, if the auto open/close isn't working, that just needs a reset. If it's the motor, that's a $400 part.

#7 ·
I reckon that the first thing to check is fuse f9 (25A) in the rear fuse/relay box. This protects N70 - Overhead control panel, which controls the sliding roof. There is no individual fuse for the motor M12, however you should have been given a cranked 'key' to allow you to open the sliding roof manually. Mine was in the folder with the service manual, but it could be in the trunk with a few other tools supplied with the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.