Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What do you think?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  masksav 
#1 ·
Looking at a off-lease 2009 CLK350 with roughly 18000 miles. Car is spotless but has 1 problem. There are no service records to show if the car was ever serviced. Nothing on carfax or with MB. I even called the dealer who sold the car new and nadda.... . The lack of an oil change scares me as it may or may not have been done. I tried to call the previous owner but that turned out to be a waste of time.
The car is almost perfect and for a 3 year old car it scary that it’s so clean
Your opinion for a new member and also new to the Benz family is appreciated

#2 ·
Even if the oil was never changed, it's only 5K over. Does the MFD show that service is overdue? If not, then it's probable that the service was done - just maybe not at a dealer. Being a MY2009, the engine is almost certainly beyond those with bad balance shafts (most of those should have been used by MY2007, maybe very early MY2008).

#5 ·
Is this an MBZ dealer? If not, I'd question them about the oil and filter used - MBZ's require a full synthetic oil that meets their 229.5 specs - not run of the mill Castrol or Quaker State. The most common is Mobil 1 0w40. If they don't seem to understand this, then the first thing I'd do after purchasing it is to get a "proper" oil an filter change. But still, given a good price, I would still buy it. :)

#4 ·
bit strange that MB has no record......but i wouldnt worry too much, just pick up the service from here on it....18000 miles isnt anything really and only just over.....if its cheap and as it has no service id want it to be then id say go for it.....have it serviced straight away, get a book going and enjoy it

#6 ·
You could buy an extended warrantee. If the MB warrantee is still active - 48 months since original purchase date, you can add the MB extended one. Around $2000 for 2 more year and up to 100K. This could ease to ease your concerns especially if the purchase price is right. How many miles & months till the factory warrantee expires?

#7 ·
May 2013. I also tried to hook-up with the previous owner but that proved to be a waste of time.

I'm still hesitant to make the move. This is a super clean, super nice car but has never been touched in 3 years....what else did they neglect...

#8 ·
Well, the good news is there's not much else to neglect. In 18K miles, all that would have been missed is an oil and filter change, plus some "checks" and "inspections" that are part of the A and B services. Oh, every two years, you are supposed to change the brake fluid, but it's not the end of the world if that isn't done. There are many MBZ's rolling around with 100K+ on the original brake fluid. Here's a link to the service guide that will tell you what was missed:

2006 CLK Service Guide

#9 ·
I just stepped into the same kind of deal with an '09 off-lease. Purchase price was that of an '06-'07 with twice the mileage.

It still has 6 months of factory warranty left. I have not found any problems with the car as of yet, but if all else fails, I'm sure I can always trade up without getting upside-down on the deal.

I say go for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.