Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W209 2006 CLK 350 No Fuel Pump Pressure Voltage Issue

56K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  mnusrum 
#1 ·
I have a 06' CLK 350 where it suddenly went to hard starting to only starting when cold. Now the car does not start at all. When the car was running the fuel pressure was around 30 psi. I suspected a bad pump but measured the voltage to the pump between the two thicker wires (solid brown wire and black/green wire) The voltage was .5 volts with the key in the on position and 10.75 volts when attempting to start.

Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay location? Here are some images of the project.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi - if you go to the W209 forum stickies, you will find a thread that covers the location of all the fuses & relays on your car.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1629567-all-fuse-relay-box-details-w209.html

I found the Fuel pump relay as Relay A (N10/2kA) located on the rear SAM N10/2.

Earlier (pre-2005) CLKs had the fuel pump alongside the fuel filter located under the car, just ahead of the left rear wheel. From 2005, the fuel pump has been moved to inside the fuel tank, and the filter has remained in the original location. These internal pumps are very reliable, and are not expected to fail. Of course if you have no pressure on the rail, it could be a failed pump - or maybe a blocked fuel filter.

I think that the fuel pump is powered when the Ig switch is in posn 3 - but I have never heard mine running and it is not inside the tank, as your is. With the rear floor mats up, can you hear the pump running?

What makes you sure that you have a fuel supply problem? Dry spark plugs?

This could be a bad CPS maybe?

#33 ·
Hi - if you go to the W209 forum stickies, you will find a thread that covers the location of all the fuses & relays on your car.

All fuse/relay box details for W209

I found the Fuel pump relay as Relay A (N10/2kA) located on the rear SAM N10/2.

Earlier (pre-2005) CLKs had the fuel pump alongside the fuel filter located under the car, just ahead of the left rear wheel. From 2005, the fuel pump has been moved to inside the fuel tank, and the filter has remained in the original location. These internal pumps are very reliable, and are not expected to fail. Of course if you have no pressure on the rail, it could be a failed pump - or maybe a blocked fuel filter.

I think that the fuel pump is powered when the Ig switch is in posn 3 - but I have never heard mine running and it is not inside the tank, as your is. With the rear floor mats up, can you hear the pump running?

What makes you sure that you have a fuel supply problem? Dry spark plugs?

This could be a bad CPS maybe?
keyhole what do u mean by the filter stayed in the same location. under the car or in the sending unit? I've seen so many mixed comments about this. (I have a 06 clk500 cabriolet)

#5 · (Edited)
When the car started the fuel pressure was measured around 30 psi. The pressure held when turned off. I released the pressure and attempted to restart and the pressure was zero. No voltage with the key in the on position.

Just checked....Fuse 10 Good. No voltage at fuel pump with key in the on position.

Which relay is for the fuel pump?

Just put in a new upgraded crank position sensor.

Attachments

#6 ·
Just checked....Fuse 10 Good. No voltage at fuel pump with key in the on position.
Which relay is for the fuel pump?
Just put in a new upgraded crank position sensor.
OK

1. I thought you were advised to check rear SAM fuse f4 (15A)
2. I told you how to find relay A in the W209 forum stickies. As you are a newbie, the drawing you need is provided below.
3. What is an 'upgraded' CPS?

Please now complete your profile with User CP at the top of screen ^^^, as model/year/location often helps with answers here.

Attachments

#11 ·
You could do a couple of thing here: - but you neeed a helper.

1. Check the condition of the relay output contacts, if possible. They should not be pitted/burned, as that would affect the resistance of the pump circuit. If bad, replace the relay. If OK then,

2. Put the relay back into the socket with the cover removed. Now operate the coil manually by pressing on the end of the coil with something insulated, so that the output contacts close. Hold that position.

Now try a start with the ignition switch. If that works, the problem is not with your fuel supply system.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info.....I jumped the relay pins and had the same voltage at pump connector. Could not hear the pump run.

The car has been sitting so the battery is going to get a long slow charge tomorrow.

Received a Star Service CD for the car and slowly reading up.

Also have a nice fuel pressure gauge testing kit on the way from E-bay so I can always monitor the fuel pressure while testing.

Going to double check everything and make sure the problem before buying the pump.

Maybe the relay.

Thanks for all the input. Will post the conclusion to this repair.

Attachments

#13 ·
OK - if you think that the relay N10/2 kA is good, go now to the pump connections on the tank. Disconnect the existing cable. The input wire colors for the pump motor are Brown (which goes to chassis) and Black/Brown (+12v dc)

Use a multimeter to check the resistance of the motor. Not sure what is should be - but not infinity! Now apply 12v dc (linked from your battery) directly to the pump terminals on the tank. You should be able to hear if it is spinning.:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Good news - so does that mean that this problem is now solved?

I have to say that this original statement of yours was a tad misleading. "When the car cranks I smell fuel". If the pump was toast, it's hard to know where this fuel was coming from...:confused:

I hope that you replaced the O ring on the feed line.

#18 ·
When I was attempting to start there was still fuel in the rail. The pump is toast. What I should have done was snap off the line to the pump instead of removing the clamp. The fuel line is a complete assembly. The car is not running yet...almost there.

#23 ·
You probably should start a new thread for this topic, but...it could be many things. Smoke from the tailpipe is on of three things:

1. Oil entering th combustion chamber caused by leaking piston rings, valve seats, leaking head gasket or a cracked block

2. Water vapor, due to water in the exhaust pipe from ambient humidity, or coolant entering the combustion chamber due to a leaking head gasket or cracked block

3.Unburned fuel from a rich mixture due to engine control problems or starting/stopping the engine while it's cold

#25 ·
If you put in too much oil, it reaches the cam and valves and will foam. When this happens, you lose viscosity and the smoke would more likely be due to some damage caused by an under-lubricated engine. Let's hope that's not it. There should be no "old oil" burning. Again, the oil should not be entering the combustion chamber. Well, actually, some very tiny molecular amount of oil does enter the combustion chamber as the piston rings float across the layer on the cylinder walls, but this is such a minuscule amount, it doesn't cause smoke or even a noticeable amount of oil loss between 12K mile changes.

#26 ·
Bad fuel pump & sending unit - CLK350

My 2006 CLK350 died 2 weeks ago... she has 84,000 miles so I did the obvious and replaced the battery, and the CPS. Still dead, would crank but not turn over.

I found out $1400 later, that MB designed their fuel filter (non-serviceable) which is inside the gas tank and inside the fuel sending unit; when that fails, or clogs, it causes the fuel pump to work harder, then fail.

*I never knew fuel pumps could fail as so low mileage... fyi...

D-Gunz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.