Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W209 CLK Maintenance / Repair / PPI Index -- Consult this thread before posting!

121K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings All! Welcome to the BenzWorld W209 CLK Forum.

It's past time (2011) that this forum had a general tech index / pre-purchase inspection checklist. So I've volunteered to establish one. The CLK is a great car and we're making this a great forum for it.

As late-model Mercedes go the W209 CLK models--both coupes (C209) and convertibles (A209)--are relatively bulletproof, partly because they don't have extremely complex systems such as the 'Active Body Control' electro-hydraulic suspension or 'Airmatic' air suspension as on the costlier models. In addition to their durability, moreover, the CLK models may be said to hit a 'sweet spot' in the Luxury-Sports continuum that few other cars can match.

But I'm not an expert on these cars, so I need to rely upon the knowledge of you regulars here. Eric, Keyhole, Rudeney and many others have provided tremendous assistance over the years and I hope everyone will help out when they can.

To start off, we're collecting threads and posts which pertain to the most significant repair issues on these cars, such as convertible hydraulics, balance-shaft cams, etc. Then I think we should probably congregate all of the maintenance stickies into a general thread which indexes them (here) as the main forum page was beginning to get sticky-heavy.

So please either PM me with links to the information you have found most useful or simply post them in this thread. I'll take care of organization and clean-up. Feel free also to make suggestions of any kind. We're all here to help one another.

Much of this information should also be useful to those looking to purchase CLKs too. NOTE that the balance-shaft issues are scary but still fairly rare, so mostly a concern for those considering purchases at this point.

PLEASE NOTE: If you want help with an issue, supply your particulars i.e. year, model, mileage, location etc. You can put this information in your profile by hitting the 'User CP' link at the top and left side of every page on BenzWorld. Then 'Edit Your Details' and you're good to go. Or just click on the links I just inserted :) (The foregoing advice is now in boldface as of 30 Nov 2015 because people are still choosing to ignore it. There's no way that specific, meaningful advice can be supplied for your query when we don't know what car year/model you're driving. Your location is also useful because different markets involve different model/equipment variants.)

If you have searched the forum and this list and don't see any solutions to your issue, feel free to start a new thread but PLEASE give it a descriptive title; e.g. "Navigation Malfunction" and "Mass Airflow Sensor Question" are a lot more useful for future search queries than "Need help!!" or "Mercedes CLK" ... Also, either of the preceding is better than appending your issue to this post, because far fewer people will see it here.

And please don't forget the age-old advice in every auto forum on the internet: RTFM!

Meanwhile! So far we have:

How to Check Your VIN

Balance-Shaft Issues:

Cabriolet Roof Issues:

Brake System Maintenance:

DIY oil change with photos:

Successful DIY oil change

Oil Coiler Seal Replacement

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/oil-cooler-seals-replacement-m113-or-m112.3099747

Camshaft Solenoids AKA Cam Magnets:

Cam Magnets Replace DIY (M271 engine)

Camshaft Solenoids AKA Cam Magnets

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) replacement (M113):

CPS replacement on 2005 CLK500 M113 W209 Crankshaft...

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) replacement (M112):

Crankshaft Position Sensor M112

V6 Air Filter Replacement DIY:

DIY Changing/Cleaning Air Filter on V6

Trunk Partitioner / Strut Replacement DIY:

Trunk partitioner will not lock into place (up or down)...

DIY Changing HID Headlight bulbs CLK500

DIY Changing HID Headlight bulbs 04 CLK 500

Quad Xenon Headlight Upgrade

Quad Xenons

Cracked 3rd brake light [CHMSL] Replacement DIY:

Third brake light replacement DIY

Taillight Issues:

Replaced rear light assy - now mismatched brightness.

tail light removal on 08 CLK350 coupe.

tail light weak

Replacing Side Marker Light socket:

DIY Replacing Side marker bulb socket 04 CLK 500

Suspension spring failures:

Suspension spring failures

Control Arms -- Replacement:

CONTROL ARMS...

Front Stabiliser Link (Torsion arm connecting rod) replacement:

Front Stabiliser Link replacement.

Battery Replacement:

Battery changing time

All fuse/relay box details for W209:

All fuse/relay box details for W209

Check operation of your Alternator and Voltage Regulator:

How to check operation of your Alternator and Voltage...

DIY remove/install starter for all W209 engines

DIY remove/install starter for all W209 engines

A/C Blower Motor / Regulator:

A/C Now Not Working At All

Install procedure for A/C compressor

Install procedure for AC compressor (w209) 2005 clk320?

W209 CAN Bus Communication System:

W209 CAN bus communication system - info

SRS Warning Light Fix / Issues:

W209 SRS LIGHT FIX/ASSISTANCE

How to change the ignition key battery:

How to change the ignition key battery

Engine oil level check via MFD - Photo DIY:

How to read the engine oil level at the cluster - with pics

7-speed auto gearbox ATF change:

7-speed auto transmission ATF change

CLK500 Transmission Issue

CLK500 Transmission Issue

Driveability Issues: 'Electronic Transmission Control Unit' ETC (EGS) & Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor:

Mass Air Flow Sensor Replacement

W209 Shift Lock override DIY

W209 Shift Lock override DIY

SmartTop (a.k.a. IntelliTop) Aftermarket Option:

SmartTop (a.k.a. IntelliTop) Install

Power Seat Motors - Remove/Install DIY

W209 Remove/install the front seat adjustment motors DIY.

Power window/motor circuit DIY:

Power window/motor circuit DIY

Rear power window/motor DIY:

Rear power window/motor DIY

Ipod Interface Installation:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1266895-ipod-interface-clk-w209.html

Removing interior covers/panels from cockpit area DIY:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w2...ving-internal-covers-panels-cockpit-area.html

Tire Recommendations:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1653109-clk-tire-recommendations.html

Flex Discs - What are they?

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1633779-flex-discs-what-they.html

Rear Main Seal:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c209-a209-clk-class/2718601-rear-main-seal.html

Wiper Blade Replacement Discussion:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c209-a209-clk-class/1881498-f-my-life.html#post7483625

FSS Service Indicator Reset:

Service Indicator Reset Guide (PDF)

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1349213-ot-my-dealer-continue-refused-reset.html

Automatic Climate Control System Actuator Motors

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c2...0-w209-diy-remove-install-actuator-motor.html

Door Panel Removal/Installation with Seat Control Replacement

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c209-a209-clk-class/3009822-refitting-front-door-inside-liners.html

__

Looking at a used CLK -- What to avoid?

Before posting a new thread: USE THE SEARCH FEATURE

(Note that the Forum Search feature now permits Google Search as an integrated function, and it often works better than the 'VB Search' option.)

Please continue contributing threads/posts which you feel are particularly informative and/or useful. PM me or post here in the thread and I'll take care of organization & cleanup. Thanks to all!

PS: And for God's sake, people, when someone goes out of his way to help you with a problem, have the decency to thank him and/or hit the 'Like' button. Way too many people vanish after their problem was solved without even saying thanks.

__

Mercedes-Benz Original Factory Parts suppliers
:
http://www.mbpartsworld.com/
www.mboemparts.com (or your local dealer of course)

BenzWorld Member-Recommended Independent Repair Shops

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi

What a generous and interesting offer - and I understand your respect of the W124 forum organisation, and their large collection of stickies. :)

I also share your enthusiasm for the W209 models for the reasons you have given above. As yet, there is not a long list of topics needing our attention, although as time passes there may well be...

DIY topics (with photos) we have not yet addressed for this model, as far as I am aware are:

Routine replacement of front/rear brake pads/rotors, poly V belt, external light bulbs, rear light lens, starter, generator, thermostat. More advanced topics would be changing front suspension struts, radiator, front & rear bumpers.

When I am next faced with any of the above, I will take pics and do a write-up, but so far my CLK is behaving perfectly!

Your list of balance shaft posts will cover all the bases, I believe. Not that this is a DIY issue - most posts were concerned with whether or not their CLK 350 was affected.

#3 ·
Excellent Idea

We have done this on the Acurazine.com website that I moderate and it is tremendously helpful for shade tree mechanics and DIYers like me.

If you want to get some ideas, go to that site, look in the Third Generation TL forum and see how it is laid out after much trial and error.

Meantime, I haven't see a DIY thread here with pics on replacing the front dust generators, er, I mean brake pads. Last visit to the dealer, they told me it was getting close to replacement time. Since they charged me over $300 for an oil change, I shudder to think what a brake job would be.

I have a 2008 CLK-350 with no major problems so far. It is still under new car warranty so I try to have the dealer handle most issues.

#4 ·
Hello, sorry if I post it in wrong place

But I have one CLK 209, where I have two fault code. Where I can`t good understand in this great information site.

B1928 - Limit switch `ìnterlocked` of soft compartment cover remains in switch condition

I understand this switch maybe is :

S84/22 - Soft top compartment cover in catch positon limit switch ?

And the another code says

B1950 - Limit switch `catch position` of soft top lock fails to switch

I belive this switch is ``in `` front window on the driver side ?

The roof opened sometimes just in front where frontwindow and windows but not the soft compartment cover and the rear part of the cab. roof (rear window) But I can hear the hydraulic pump job.

If i try open the soft top many times, the Soft top start working as it should. But not for a long time, and the problem appears again.

Best regards from Norway

(Sorry for the bad english)

#5 ·
Maintance

Being new to MB and this forum, I find it very informative. I would like to see a listing of what is included in the different level of maintenance,(i.e., A & B).

Having just purchasing this car with 77,000 miles, I've already changed the air filter with K&N, and the cabin filter. Changed the front rotors, pads and wear sensor for under $200.00 The procedures I've viewed on this forum were very helpful.

Thinking of changing the plugs, but do not know what MB recommends as far as mileage is concerned. Twelve plugs for a V-6 is different.

I tend to try to do things myself as the MB dealer is 100 miles away.

#7 ·
I would like to add EXTENDED WARRANTY COSTS

I just called Mercedes Benz of Georgetown Texas and got my factory 3 yr 50k warranty extended to 6 yr 100k for $2749.

Brian Williams
(512) 930-6150
He needs VIN
Not in Tuesday

No dicker sticker. Let him know James of Benz World recommended you to him.

This was after the Long Beach, CA sales person swore to me her cost was over $4000 for the same exact warranty...and she was discounting the price $1150!!!

#11 ·
buying a certified prepwned 2009 clk 350?

this would be my first luxury car after years of Hondas....it's beautiful, and I mostly do city/small trip driving. my mom has owned two mbs and said: never again!
any thoughts about the purchase? only 12k miles on it....
thanks so much - I'm brand new here and hope to be a happy owner later this week

#13 ·
Hey everyone-

In case someone may not now this, Pelican Parts has some very good maintenance write-ups with great photos to go along with them. I used their site as a resource for my serpentine belt and belt tensioner replacement, crankshaft pisition sensor job, and the valve cover and breather gaskets, breather hoses, and plug changeout. I'm new at this stuff too, but since my car (2005 CLK320 coupe/140k miles) was due for a lot of big maintenance I figured it was worth it to learn how. Next up is transmission flush/filter/gasket etc.

Here's a link to one of their maintenance job descriptions: Pelican Mercedes-Benz Tech Article - Mercedes Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - C230 / E320 / S320 / ML320 / CLK320 / SLK320

#15 ·
Get an Extended Warrant w/ the most Mileage available, I went with NATIONAL WARRANT CORPORATION W/ $300 Deductible yet, covers 5 years or 125,000 miles.

I have had 4 Mercedes and after this one, I'm done. There's nothing like the drive yet, get a Extended Warranty.

R/

Winston 2015

#17 ·
I have now owned 3 W209 cars since 2009. The first two were both CLK500 models. Over 6 years of ownership I did not have a single problem with either one outside of routine maintenance. Their demise came at the expense of accidents that were not my fault. I recently bought my dream car, a 2005 CLK55, so I am hoping that my good, without the accidents, luck continues.

#18 ·
my 2006 MB 320 CLK power steering ois almost non existent at low speeds and braking applied. Surely there isn't a relationship between the power steering and braking supply. Or is it due to the low enginge rpms at slow speeds. My service mechanic said the fluid was a little low but no leaks. Help please.

#21 ·
2007 CLK 550

* first post *

I own a 2007 CLK 550 Convertible and Coupe.

Strangely, I am having the exact same issue on both cars.

The fog lights on both cars do not consistently work. I can tell that they both work, but as I drive one of the foglights turns off. And it is always just one.

And it is the exact same issue on both cars, which seems crazy!

Anyone else experiencing the same issue and aware of a fix?

Thanks!

#23 ·
Removing Instrument Cluster

I thought I'd share some learning I had today on my 2005 CLK320 when removing the instrument cluster in order to clean it. I purchased the car used and it had some milky white spots on the instrument cluster where it looked like a dried liquid that spotted and ran in some places. Below is the before and after of my work. Very happy!

In addition, shown below are photos of the tool I made (credit to rudeney's post on cluster removal on the W203) and the connector in the back of the cluster. For me, the connector was the tricky part as you don't want to force it off. Turns out there is a little gray lever you must rotate down after depressing it's locking mechanism. Also (not pictured) when re-installing the connector, the gray lever must be rotated a full 90 degrees before you re-insert the connector into the back of the cluster.

I've never posted pics yet so I hope this turns out to make sense. Hope this helps someone.

-Ron

Attachments

#25 ·
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

#27 ·
Oil Cooler Gasket Replacement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.