Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Scan codes and engine problems.... 2005 CLK 350

21K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
The situation

Car: 2005 CLK 350
Kilometers: 73,000
Scan code Errors

PO172: Self - Adaption of mixture formation for enleanment at idle for the right cylder bank is below permissible limit

PO175: Self : Adaption of mixture formation for the enleanment at idle for the left cylinder bank is below permissible limit.

P000B: Camshaft Adjustment (Right) Incorrect position of the exhaust camshaft.

Basically the story is after running my tank dry one day cause i was busy, and after refuelling i had the engine light go on. The above are the scan codes and results after having it plugged in.

The car when it starts cold and idles, starts to rev up and down a bit something which never happened before all this.

Has anyone had any experience with sort of thing before?

Mechanics not benz mechanis are saying could be the first two errors are causing the camshaft issue, if its the camshaft im pretty much screwed cost wise.

Any Advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. Please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information when you're seeking assistance.

Those two FT codes make it very likely that your MAF is bad. Easy DIY, just be sure to source a genuine Bosch unit from a trusted vendor (and most of the ones on ebay are chinese knockoffs). If you're in the US, autohausaz.com is generally the cheapest for a genuine Bosch MAF.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Second thought: is that the M272 engine? I think in your year there was a bad maker of balance shaft gears that can trigger cam codes...and yes, it's an expensive fix. It's possible that is just a transient that was pending when the others lit off the CEL.

There is more information on the balance shaft issue (with some ugly pics) in a sticky thread at benzobsession.com; I'd link it for you but I'm on a smartphone. You could also just google M272 and balance shaft and likely find lots of information.

#5 ·
sorry for my ignorance but what is MAF? not to sure if i would be able to do it myself. if you have instructions please advise.
MAF = Mass Airflow sensor. They have a life of up to 100k miles, and are easily changed. There are lots of posts in the archives on how to do it yourself, if you heve a decent set of tools. It is located over the engine, and has a large circular grid facing upwards. Remove the plastic engine cover and you will see it.

Also how can i check if i have a M272 engine?
Don't check. ALL CLK 350 cars have the M272 engine.

But some do have the balance shaft gear problem already mentioned by gregs210. You have to know your engine serial number to be sure, so check out the documents that came with the car, and post the engine serial number here.

#6 ·
Further comment.

If you do have the M272 Balance Shaft gear problem, I understand that MB will repair the engine under Warranty, provided the engine was built in the range they have published in a TSB (technical service bulletin)

It was discussed in the thread below, and in post #13 is a link to the MB service document whiich gives full details of the problem. Other MB cars with this (and M273 engine) are also affected.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w20...ncer-shaft-defect-clarification-08-clk-2.html

#7 ·
The car is 06 so 99% sure this is an affected engine, the easy way to find out if this is the balance shaft and I believe it is, then drain the engine oil and lower the oil pan, look for tiny pieces of metal and if there are any the shaft gear has gone.

#8 ·
Is it possible that the P0172 and P0175 errors, caused the P000B error to come up? I was talking to mercedes today and they were saying that the first two are either caused as you guys said by the Mass Airflow Sensor or a Vacume leak of some kind, thus requiring a smoke test i think it is.

Its not clear and i've got the option of going to a mercedes benz dealer a private benz repairist and im not sure which way to go for what.

#9 ·
I would go to the dealer first off and tell them you need convincing that this is not a balance shaft problem. And yes MAF or vacuum leak is also a possibility.

#10 ·
Running out of fuel can cause all sorts of issues. It can damage the fuel pump and/or the injectors, as they rely on a constant flow of fuel to cool them. Sometimes when you run an engine out fuel, it just takes a while to get the air bubbles out of the fuel lines a charcoal canister recovery system and until that happens, you will get errors. My advice is to drive the car for a tank of gas before looking for any "major failures".

#13 ·
Throwing parts at a car will not fix it but will empty your pocket. Find the actual cause before you look for the remedy. And diagnostics do take time. Be patient.

#15 ·
Is this balance shaft issue the same as the idler pulley ? I am interested in a 2006 clk350 which is in the range of the engines affected with these faulty balance shaft.
This idler pulley was replaced in 2008. Thanks for your help before i waste my money on a pre purchase inspection.

#17 ·
An "idler" is just a pulley or gear used on a belt or chain to change its direction. It usually just "idles", or spins and doesn't operate anything. On your serpentine belt, the idler pulley is used to route the belt around its path. On the timing chain, the idler sprocket is sued to route the timing chain back down to the block between the left and right camshaft banks. On the V8, it is just an idler, but on the V6, it is used to both change the direction of the chain and to rotate the balance shaft. Changing the idler pulley on the serpentine belt, which is external to the engine, is an easy job. Changing the idler sprocket on the timing chain, which on the V6 is attached the the balance shaft, is an engine-out job.

#19 ·
Changing the idler pulley on the serpentine belt, which is external to the engine, is an easy job. Changing the idler sprocket on the timing chain, which on the V6 is attached the the balance shaft, is an engine-out job.
I agree.

But if the balance shaft idler sprocket was changed, surely that is how it would be recorded. To change the serpentine belt idler and pretend that it was the balance shaft idler would be fraud.

In the case of Steflwr above, as that engine number fails on all 3 scenarios, it probably should be avoided if the known fault codes are present..

#23 ·
Yes, it's in the affect range, but not all will fail, though. If it does, dealers charge a minimum of $4K, most are more than that. You might find an indy who will do it for $3500. It's a big job to pull the engine.

#22 ·
Steflwr - Please now complete your profile with User CP listing model/year/location.

If you go to post #7 of the following W209 thread, and click on the link there you will see the original MB Technical Bulletin released to cover thie balance shaft and associated problems. The DTCs produced are listed, together with other symptoms that could be experienced with the engine batch numbers included.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1624268-camshaft-solenoids-aka-cam-magnets.html

As I suggested, not all the scenarios are expensive to resolve. Only scenario 1 that involves engine removal will cost an arm & a leg.

Read the document carefully, and you will be as informed as much as any of us here. This problem has been discussed for the past 4 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.